Author Topic: Alice Fraser boarded out child at Benvie Farm cottage in 1911  (Read 8751 times)

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: Alice Fraser boarded out child at Benvie Farm cottage in 1911
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 17:49 BST (UK) »
An online tree seems to have a Williamina Stewart, daughter of James Stewart and Elspeth Young, marrying in Glasgow on 30th November 1908, to a Donald Cameron Fulton. The marriage was a second one for Donald, and, if same Williamina (based on her parents names), obviously her second too. The certificate should confirm if she was widowed.

Update:

a quick check of the free index and the marriage (St Rollox District) is indeed indexed under Williamina Stewart and Williamina Fraser.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 18:07 BST (UK) »
Williamina Fulton previously Fraser nee Stewart looks to have died in Dumbarton area in 1951.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 18:12 BST (UK) »
Hi ,

There is a death for a Charles Simon Fraser age 80 , 1973 Dumbarton , 505/ 322.

Could he be the son aged 7 on the 1901 Census ?

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 18:21 BST (UK) »
Hmmm. No evidence of a marriage of Frederick Augustus Fraser to Margaret in Scotland, England or Wales. There are two deaths of Frederick Augustus Fraser in Scotland. One aged 0, and one in 1866.

So neither of those can be the father of Charles Simon Fraser, who was aged 25 in 1901. Or was he? If he was 25 in 1901, he would have been about 17 in 1892. That is exceptionally young for a man to marry.

How old does Charles' marriage certificate say he was? What was his occupation?

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 18:25 BST (UK) »
There is a death for a Charles Simon Fraser age 80 , 1973 Dumbarton , 505/ 322.
Could he be the son aged 7 on the 1901 Census ?
He could. There is a birth of Charles Simon Fraser in Dundee in 1893.

I have already asked what were the birthplaces of all the family according to the 1901 census? At least two people have looked at that census, and must therefore have that information.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline dorothy taylor

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 19:16 BST (UK) »
I know nothing about Alice's siblings but if Williamina married a Fulton and died in Dumbarton and Charles Fraser died in Dumbarton it is possible.
Charles was 19 when he married in 1892 and his father Frederick was a baker, Charles was a Jute Factory worker
fraser. taylor, moncur, mcneil

Offline dorothy taylor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 19:49 BST (UK) »
Have found Charles Simon Fraser junior 12/10/1893 in Dundee not Glasgow

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 20:18 BST (UK) »
Industrial Schools names list(Friends of Dundee City Archives)
Charles Fraser , born 12th Oct 1893 Aberdeen(?) , address 38 Horsewater Wynd, Dundee 1st Jul 1903 08/413 , parents Charles Fraser Williamina Fraser.
William Fraser , born 10th Jul 1892 Aberdeen , address 38 Horsewater Wynd, Dundee 1st Jul 1903 08/412 , parents Charles Fraser Williamina Fraser.

http://www.fdca.org.uk/pdf%20files/Industrial%20List%20F.pdf

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline dorothy taylor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 20:37 BST (UK) »
I'm amazed at the amount of information you have all furnished me with in such a short time.  I am actually a member of the friends of Dundee archive and do volunteer indexing every week on a Tuesday, I will be asking questions there next week to see if I can shed some light on why Alice was boarded out.  I wish I knew where you get all of your information, Thank you all