Author Topic: Alice Fraser boarded out child at Benvie Farm cottage in 1911  (Read 8752 times)

Offline dorothy taylor

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alice Fraser boarded out child at Benvie Farm cottage in 1911
« on: Monday 24 April 17 20:19 BST (UK) »
Can anyone advise where to get more information on a boarded out child in 1911 to Benvie Farm Cottage with a Margaret McDougal please.  Alice was my grandmother
fraser. taylor, moncur, mcneil

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Alice Fraser boarded out child at Benvie Farm cottage in 1911
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 April 17 20:49 BST (UK) »
Hello Dottymay, and welcome to RootsChat.

We are quite a helpful bunch here, but we do need a little more information before we can get stuck into your query.

I assume that you have found her in the census, but you must have more information than that. How old was she in 1911? Where does the census say she was born? Whom, when and where did she marry? Have you seen her marriage certificate? Where and when did she die? Have you seen her death certificate? What else do you know about Alice already?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 April 17 20:49 BST (UK) »
Hi there. Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Where was your grandmother Alice born? Many children, specially from big cities such as Glasgow were boarded out to farming families at this time. Lots of different family circustances were behind the decisions for these children to be boarded out, for a number of years in many cases. Many never went back to family and remained living in the area they were sent to board.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 April 17 21:01 BST (UK) »
Hello welcome to the boards

....My grandmother was also boarded out then informally adopted

Good luck with your search ...You never know what you may find ...we actually discoverd her birth father but couldn't work out what became of the mother .

On the census does it give her place of birth ..That may come in useful .

Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline dorothy taylor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 08:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your replies, I'm new to this but here is the info I have to date:-
I did find her on the 1911 census.
Alice Fraser, born 8/2/1900 at 51 Castle Street, Glasgow, to Charles Simon Fraser and Williamina Fraser nee Stewart on 25/11/1892 in The Manse, Lochee, Dundee.  She married James Taylor, from Middlesborough on 1/8/1919 jn Dundee and was divorced from him early 1950's.  According to the 1901 census she still lived at 51 Castle Street, Glasgow, with her parents 2 brothers and her twin sister who died in 1902.  She died when I was 14 and didn't talk about her family except she always said she had been left on someone's doorstep so I don't know how much she did know about them

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 09:24 BST (UK) »
I see from the 1901 that Charles was English, and from births of children, the family seemed to move around, possibly due to his work.

As Charles and Williamina married in Dundee and Alice was later living in Dundee, could her mum have been from there (either born or lived)? The 1901 transcript I looked at, unfortunately doesn't note the mum's birthplace. Who were listed as Williamina's parents on the marriage certificate? What address did she give as residence at the time?

Benvie Farm itself had a Thoms family there in 1901, and beyond. Perhaps the cottage Alice was in at 1911, was one 'tied' to workers on their estate.

Could Margaret McDougal have been a relative of Williamina Stewart?

Did Alice list her parents as deceased at time of her marriage, or were they still living?

"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 09:37 BST (UK) »
What were the brothers names and ages ? We're they also boarded out in 1911 ?

Have you found deaths for Charles and Wilhelmina yet !

Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 11:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your replies, I'm new to this but here is the info I have to date:-
According to the 1901 census she still lived at 51 Castle Street, Glasgow, with her parents 2 brothers and her twin sister who died in 1902.
You seem to have Alice's birth and marriage and date of death, and both the available census records. So what, specifically, were you originally looking for when you said
Can anyone advise where to get more information on a boarded out child
in your original post?

Can you tell us the birthplaces of everyone in the household in 1901? I see from the index that there were Charles, 25; Williamina, 25; William, 8: Charles, 7; Alice, 1; and Williamina, 1. Did I miss some other children between Charles and Alice? Could there have been one or two other children who died in infancy?

I assume you mean that Charles and Williamina were married in Lochee in 1892. Do you have that marriage certificate? What else does it tell you? What were the names of their parents?

If Alice was born in Glasgow and boarded out in Liff and Benvie, it may be that the boarding out was arranged by the Glasgow Parochial Board, in which case there should be a record of her in the Poor Law archives in the Mitchell Library in Glasgow. See http://www.glasgowfamilyhistory.org.uk/ExploreRecords/Pages/Poor-Law.aspx for information about these records, which are not available online. Also http://www.glasgowfamilyhistory.org.uk/DiscoverLearn/GettingStarted/Documents/PoorLaw_web.pdf

William and Charles junior may also have been boarded out, but by 1911 they would both have been old enough to earn their own living. The Poor Law records should also mention them if they were boarded out.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline dorothy taylor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 17:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you  all for your help
On Alice's marriage certificate her parents are listed as deceased.
Charles and Williamina's marriage certificate list:-
Charles Simon Fraser, 17 Larch Street Dundee, Father: Frederick Augustus Fraser, Mother: Margaret Fraser, nee Kin???? can't read it, deceased
Williamina Stewart, Logie Brae, Lochee Road Dundee, Father: James Stewart deceased, Mother: Elspeth Stewart nee Young.
Do not know anything about Alice's siblings or if she was boarded from Glasgow or Dundee.  Is there any way to check all children born to a couple.
I cannot find anything about Charles and Williamina after the 1901 census, no death nothing on 1911 census, they seem to have disappeared.