Author Topic: James Dowdall and Mary Jane Prince  (Read 373 times)

Offline didi55

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Dowdall and Mary Jane Prince
« on: Monday 24 April 17 20:26 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for information on the families of James Dowdall (born 1830) and Mary Jane Prince (born circa 1830).  They were married in Belfast on 27 September 1850 - the record says it was a Civil Marriage Record.  His father was John Dowdall (Labourer) and her parents were Thomas Prince (Boot and Shoe Maker) and Mary Green.  James and Mary had 10 children, 6 of them born in Ireland (some of them in County Tyrone).  They moved to Greenock, Renfrewshire, Scotland between 1862 and 1863, where they remained.

I would particularly like to know dates of birth, marriage, death of both sets of parents and how many siblings there were in each family.  I don't have dates of birth for James or Mary, but I do have full information once they got to Scotland.  The name Dowdall became Dowall eventually, and is the name used by the family today.

I will post this message on the County Tyrone sub-forum too, to cover both areas I know about.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Dowdall and Mary Jane Prince
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 April 17 20:42 BST (UK) »
Link to Tyrone post-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=770215.0

Civil registration of births, deaths and Catholic marriages started in 1864 (from 1845 for non-Catholic marriages). For earlier records it's mainly a matter of checking to see if church records survive.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline didi55

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Dowdall and Mary Jane Prince
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 08:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you.