Author Topic: Hotmail Slow  (Read 1712 times)

Online Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hotmail Slow
« on: Monday 24 April 17 21:25 BST (UK) »
    I am not sure if this belongs here - it is not really a technical question.

I am finding my hotmail account tediously slow recently, I sit and wait for it to open my inbox, then if I want to send a new message, it takes even longer to open that. I know my computer is a bit elderly and the internet connection not great, but other websites, including this one, open quickly. Any ideas please?
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Online Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
Re: Hotmail
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 April 17 22:05 BST (UK) »
Five years ago, I was becoming dissatisfied with Hotmail.

I moved to Gmail. Set Hotmail settings to forward everything to Gmail.

Not had a problem since.

Regards

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline Mike Morrell (NL)

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 23:30 BST (UK) »
I don't have any quick fixes, unfortunately. Microsoft has been rolling out the transition from Hotmail.com to Outlook.com up until 2017 so it's possible that this is the factor affecting performance. Personally, I haven't experienced any problems, though many others have complained on the internet. There seem to be at least 3 factors that affect performance:
- whether or not you only use Hotmail.com/Outlook.com online or via a desktop Outlook e-mail program
- If you use Outlook on your desktop, whether or not you've 're-synched' with the new Outlook.com
- whether or not you have a paid or free Hotmail.com/Outlook.com subscription

If you have a free subscription, all the targeted ads are loaded each time you use Hotmail/Outlook. If  you have a paid subscription, they aren't so it's faster.

The following links may help you figure out what's causing the problem. They may not. I read that some users have just automatically forwarded their hotmail inbox to gmail with which they've had no problems.

https://mspoweruser.com/microsoft-outlook-com-rollout-will-finish-first-half-2017/ (read comments/tips)
https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Fixes-or-workarounds-for-recent-issues-in-Outlook-for-Windows-ecf61305-f84f-4e13-bb73-95a214ac1230

It's not much but maybe the links will help you get more info.

Mike
Photo restorers may re-use and improve on my posted versions. Acknowledgement appreciated.

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 13:10 BST (UK) »
I have two Hotmail accounts, and sometimes they are tediously slow, for about the last 6 months.

But it's partly my computer, or rather I think it's my ISP as I have 8.1 on the computer so it shouldn't be the computer  But if I access Hotmail on my friend's computer, or at my local libraries, it is much faster.

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline alanmack

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 20:22 BST (UK) »
I have had a Hotmail account for approaching twenty years now. It has always been relatively slow as being web-based, connection speed and other factors come into play prominently.

However in its Outlook guise there is something else. There is now a script to furnish an advertising sidebar on R.H.S. If like me you run an ad-blocker it complains bitterly and takes an age to do anything. This I reckon is a deliberate ploy to get you to accept all the b****y ads or pay them (M$) for "ad-free Hotmail". They'd better not hold their breath waiting for me!

Gmail is now my 'primary' too and I only use Hotmail/Outlook for commercial contacts that are likely to result in a welter of advertising.

alanmack
Glamorgan - Carpenter, Chamberlain, Ellis, Watkins, Rees, Bevan
Wiltshire - Carpenter, Chamberlain, Ellis, Merrett
Essex - Burdon, Taylor, Menzies
Canada - Burdon, Parkinson
Australia - Carpenter, Burdon

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
Re: Hotmail Slow
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 27 April 17 11:08 BST (UK) »

I have a Hotmail account and it always took ages to load, still does even with the transition to Outlook.  My pc is not the fastest, but gmail loads a lot faster than the Hotmail.  I only use Hotmail for letters etc

I use gmail as my primary email and just have the emails from the Hotmail account sent to my gmail account.
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Online Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 29 April 17 10:27 BST (UK) »
   Thanks everyone - it seems as if this is a common problem. I may have to run all this past my techie son, but the idea of forwarding to another account may be the way forward.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 29 April 17 10:50 BST (UK) »

My Techie son recommended forwarding if I didn't want the hassle of waiting for it to load all the time ;D
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)