Author Topic: How much to census returns really tell you?  (Read 5183 times)

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
How much to census returns really tell you?
« on: Monday 24 April 17 22:12 BST (UK) »
Whilst searching for an ancestor recently, it occurred to me that the ten-yearly census returns leave huge gaps in our knowledge.   

I thought about my own life, and it is certainly true here.  A census of 1951 would find me in Ipswich, Suffolk; and the 1961 census would also find me in Ipswich.  However, during those ten years I moved from Ipswich to Norfolk, then to Yorkshire, back to Ipswich briefly, off to Huntingdonshire, then to Cyprus for two years, returning briefly to Blackpool and then back to Ipswich.  But as far as the census returns are concerned, I never left Ipswich! 
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
Re: How much to census returns really tell you?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 April 17 22:31 BST (UK) »
Good point GS, and the example of your own moves around the country (and also out of it) prove that all we see is a snapshot of one day in their life every 10 years.  It makes you wonder what we are missing in those years between the census.

My example would be the opposite of yours, I have lived in the same town all of my life, although in 5 different houses.
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 April 17 22:49 BST (UK) »
This is why it's important to find if there are any surviving family photographs and old postcards, which could give clues.

Also 1951 to 1961 might not be a mystery if the person had been conscripted into H.M. Forces
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 April 17 22:58 BST (UK) »
Well spotted, Rena, as my father was in the Royal Air Force.  But someone just checking the census may well not have found him 'at home' on either occasion as he was frequently abroad whilst we were left in this country, so my mother might on both census have been marked as 'married' and 'Head' of household, without any clue as to the missing husband.      So just looking at the census returns, with my father absent, there would be no indication that he was in the RAF since he wasn't there.....
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 April 17 23:59 BST (UK) »
I have a strange one too in the 10 yrs from 2001 - 2011.

Married on the 2001 yet divorced on the 2011.

I am in the same abode (house/address) which I've been in for over 30 yrs.

No-one will understand why I would say I was married on the 2001 yet divorced on the 2011 as there's 'No marriage to be found'  :D

I was married abroad but they will find my divorce if they think to look unless they just assume I was lying  ;D

No children to the marriage either!

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 00:12 BST (UK) »
Agreed.

Some people also assume too much from what they see on the census. They don't consider (or forget) that the census only listed the people living in a house for one night.

Because a grandchild was living with grandparents they assume the parents are dead or separated. If a married daughter is with her parents they assume she is separated or in an unhappy marriage. If a married man is not at home they may incorrectly presume he has abandoned the family .... etc.

:-\

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 01:11 BST (UK) »
Gs & Ruskie,

I think this topic has highlighted quite a few things which are often mistaken for other things as sometimes people are too quick to make assumptions  :P

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 10:08 BST (UK) »
Some people also assume too much from what they see on the census. They don't consider (or forget) that the census only listed the people living in a house for one night.

The 1891 census raised an unanswered question about my widowed gt-grandmother, who resided in a Liverpool suburb with several children.  She was recorded (with two teenagers) in the company of an unmarried man of similar age (~50) in Wallasey.  That is his only known appearance in her life.  I presume that if anything naughty was happening, they believed census records were confidential ?
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 11:09 BST (UK) »
The census is a snapshot taken mainly for government statisticians, it wasn't designed for family historians!

Skoosh.