Author Topic: Speer Family  (Read 6275 times)

Offline tbears52

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Speer Family
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 07 May 17 08:30 BST (UK) »
I hope you do not think I was being rude by not connecting back to the Forum but I wanted to look a little further into the families so I could let you know that without everyone’s help here I would not have made it as far as I have with this family.

It is with thanks firstly to hallmark for setting me off in the right direction with the Civil Registrations for the deaths of Andrew and Mary Speers.  Further finds by hallmark led me to the marriage of James Dawson and Isabella Speers.

I am still trying to confirm Elizabeth Speer who married William McCready is definitely of the children born to Andrew and Mary Speers.  This has turned into a brick wall at the moment but I will pursue this couple nevertheless to confirm whether this is a definite child or not of the couple.

To aghadowey, thank you for Samuel Speer and his wife Rachel who I have been able to locate her surname as being Weir.  I am not able to confirm this couple as being part of Speer/s extended family I have, but I will keep on pursuing.  I do know however from an obituary and other newspaper clippings that William Speers born 1860 and passing at St Marys, Tasmania 1893 was the last born son to Andrew Speer and Mary nee????

Aghadowey, you have helped immensely with the location of the Carr / Kerr family and for this very grateful.  Thomas Carr/Kerr (as it sometimes appears in documentation) married 1871 Magherafelt, Londonderry.  No image is available but a search on both surnames Carr and Spear (as it appears on the index) are exactly the same number so I am assuming this is the couple.  Further searches have revealed this couple went on to have 11 children, 6 boys and 5 girls.  At this stage I have located all birth registrations for the children so am pretty happy with this.  I have not taken this further at this stage.  I will however look into marriages for each of the children and where possible any deaths.

Thank you hallmark for pointing out a photocopy for the certificate is E4.00.  I looked at the form to fill out and sadly it is of no use to me.  I do not have a credit or debit card that I put over the internet.  I have a generic card that does not bear my name which is mandatory for applying and paying by card.  To purchase a cheque for payment in Euro would cost from A$25.00 just to purchase so this is totally out of the question.  We live in rural NSW with our bank being about 450kms south and 500kms north.  When I travel to Victoria to visit family I will go to the Genealogical Society I belong to there and look at the films they have to see if I can locate information there. 

Turning to James Dawson and Isabella nee Speers.  I have located “James” Dawson birth.  He was registered as William “James” Dawson, born 22 January 1866, Leitrim, Ballyscullion, Magherafelt.  James Dawson passed away 9 March 1951 and Isabella 1 September 1939.  This couple were laid to rest Christ Church, Church of Ireland, Castledawson, Co. Londonderry, Northern Ireland - Plot No. 1.  As you are already aware this couple married 16 July 1888 in the Presbyterian Church, Magherafelt.

James and Isabella had 4 children, 2 sons and 2 daughters.  First born child Andrew William Dawson first married Sarah Matilda Ellis 24 March 1913 Christ Church, Church of Ireland, Castledawson (I have located a birth registration for Sarah Margaret Ellis born to Edward Ellis at Edenreagh, Bellaghy, Londonderry.  Sarah passed away 18 September 1918 at Edenreagh.  I have not been able to locate where she was laid to rest.  Sarah passed away from TB.

Following Sarah’s passing Andrew William Dawson then married May Anderson on 23 September 1919 at Ballymacarret, Belfast.

Second born child, son James Dawson married Sarah Catherwood 19 April 1915 at Ballaghy, Ballyscullion, Londonderry.

First born daughter and third born child Maggie Dawson did not marry.  She passed away 27 October 1921 and was laid to rest with her parents. 

Second born daughter and fourth born child is Mary Isabella Dawson.  I have written down this lady married but I am yet to locate the information I am seeking.

I have also located birth registrations for all these children and where possible their spouses and have downloaded the images.

So it is with thanks for everyone’s help that I have been able to get this far on a family that was a brick wall for so many years.  It was by a sheer fluke that I located the brothers of William Speers in Tasmania and possibly Thomas Speers who came to Australia with William Speers in 1879.

Cheers
Judi

Offline coreyspeers

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 19 February 19 06:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, I don't know if this is of any help, but I've been doing some research of my own. I am a descendant of Robert Speers and Elizabeth Handley, Andrew Speers was my great grandather. Anyway, there's a bit of information here that might help somewhat - http://www.cocker.id.au/ancestor_handley.php - cheers.

Offline tbears52

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 19 February 19 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much coreyspeers for your message.  We have actually been in contact back in April 2017 and you very kindly advised me of your website.

I have not visited the Speers family for a while now.  I have however managed to make contact with Andrew Speer's (1810 - 1900) GG Grandaughter, who is my 3rd cousin.

It is with thanks of the extremely helpful forum members I have been able to piece the family together (but still missing some information) and let my cousin know more information of her heritage.

I have had my head stuck into looking into paternal lineage with family links to Scotland, Australia and New Zealand, finding yet another cousin from our direct lines with my 4 x Great Grandparents being her 5 x Great Grandparents.  You really do not know where the journey of family research will end up going or more importantly there are family out there that you did not know anything about.

Cheers  Judi

Offline JackK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 23 December 19 15:24 GMT (UK) »
My GGrF Thomas Carr/Kerr was married to Sarah Speer (1849-1913).

Thomas' probate will to Andrew Speer - farmer - 1912

any connection/information is greatly appreciated.

Jack

photo of Sarah Carr (Speer) attached.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 23 December 19 20:23 GMT (UK) »

Thank you hallmark for pointing out a photocopy for the certificate is E4.00.  I looked at the form to fill out and sadly it is of no use to me.  I do not have a credit or debit card that I put over the internet.  I have a generic card that does not bear my name which is mandatory for applying and paying by card.  To purchase a cheque for payment in Euro would cost from A$25.00 just to purchase so this is totally out of the question.  We live in rural NSW with our bank being about 450kms south and 500kms north.  When I travel to Victoria to visit family I will go to the Genealogical Society I belong to there and look at the films they have to see if I can locate information there. 

Cheers
Judi

Don't forget to click on Links posted to see if any have been updated with Images...even every 6 months!

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline tbears52

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 24 December 19 05:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello JackK

There most certainly is a connection with Sarah Speer who married Thomas Carr/Kerr.

I have Sarah as being the second child born to Andrew Speer and Mary (surname unknown).  Andrew passed away 20 June 1900 at Ballynogher, Magherafelt, Londonderry, Ireland, Mary passed away 23 April 1898 at Ballynogher, Magherafelt, Londonderry, Ireland.

This couple had 8 children that I have located.  John Speer abt 1846 - 1924 emigrated to Tasmania married there and raised a family, next Sarah Speer who married Thomas Carr/Kerr, Andrew Speer abt 1851 - 1920 who remained in Ireland, Robert Speer 1852 - 1935 who emigrated to Tasmania, married there and raised a family, Thomas Speer abt 1854 - 1937 who emigrated to Australia and passed away in Melbourne, Victoria, Elizabeth Speer abt 1859, married William McCready 24 February 1888 and as far as I can find out remained in Ireland, William Speer 1860 - 1893 emigrated to Tasmania and passed away 28 October 1893, had a liaison with my GG Aunt which produced a daughter, Isabella Speer abt 1862 - 1939 who married James Dawson 1888.  Both laid to rest in Christ Church, Church of Ireland, Castledawson, Co. Londonderry, Northern Ireland - Plot No. 1.

Hope this helps with your wanting to know about a connection to the family lineage.  Should you wish any further information please private message me.

Cheers
Judi