Author Topic: Speer Family  (Read 6276 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline tbears52

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Speer Family
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 00:55 BST (UK) »
Oh my goodness, thank you so very much for your help.  I had tried the Civil Records for the boy's birth but have never located these as registration did not start until after their births. 

The passing information of the parents is absolutely wonderful.  It is pointing toward this couple being the right people.

Am I right to assume this couple would have been in Derry their whole life or would you know during their lifetime they would have moved around into or from another County?  Have you ever heard of this at all please?

I have ancestors who were with the Church of Ireland so they obviously moved around and my 3 x G Grandparents (Joseph was English and Margaret was born in Ireland) lived in Limerick but Joseph passed in Dublin and laid to rest in Mt Jerome Cemetery.  Margaret in fact went to live in England and passed there.  Children from this couple either became or married into families that were with the Church of Ireland.  They are from my paternal lineage.

The Speers are part of my maternal lineage through William Speers and a liaison he had with a member of our family (Louisa) in 1891 that produced a child born to this couple.  It was wanting to know more about the child that has taken me on a journey to locate anything regarding William which opened up the Speers family, well as much as I could find.

I am extremely grateful for your help, thank you is not enough.

Cheers
Judi

Offline tbears52

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 01:17 BST (UK) »
A follow on from the wonderful help from Hallmark I have just located on Trove:

Mr. Robert Speers, of St. Marys, will celebrate his 80th birthday today.  Mr. Speers was born in Londonderry, Ireland, on July 13, 1852, and arrived in Tasmania in 1873.  He followed farming pursuits near St. Marys until six years ago, when he removed to the township.  Mr. Speers married Miss Elizabeth Hardley in Christ Church, Cullenswood, on July 13, 1877, Rev. Evans being the officiating clergyman, and there was a family of fourteen -five daughters and nine sons.  Two sons served in the Great War, and visited Ireland while on leave.  Mrs. Speers died 18 years ago, and one son and three daughters are also deceased. The youngest daughter (Ivy) keeps house for her father.  Mr. Speers still enjoys good health and has a good memory.  His hobby is gardening.  His only surviving sister is Mrs. James Dawson, Castledown, Ireland.

So it is a confirmation Isabella is definitely his sister who married James Dawson.  Date of birth was given as 13 July 1852 and not 1854 as first thought.

Cheers
Judi

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 02:00 BST (UK) »
Oh my goodness, thank you so very much for your help.  I had tried the Civil Records for the boy's birth but have never located these as registration did not start until after their births. 

The passing information of the parents is absolutely wonderful.  It is pointing toward this couple being the right people.

Am I right to assume this couple would have been in Derry their whole life or would you know during their lifetime they would have moved around into or from another County?  Have you ever heard of this at all please?

I have ancestors who were with the Church of Ireland so they obviously moved around and my 3 x G Grandparents (Joseph was English and Margaret was born in Ireland) lived in Limerick but Joseph passed in Dublin and laid to rest in Mt Jerome Cemetery.  Margaret in fact went to live in England and passed there.  Children from this couple either became or married into families that were with the Church of Ireland.  They are from my paternal lineage.

The Speers are part of my maternal lineage through William Speers and a liaison he had with a member of our family (Louisa) in 1891 that produced a child born to this couple.  It was wanting to know more about the child that has taken me on a journey to locate anything regarding William which opened up the Speers family, well as much as I could find.

I am extremely grateful for your help, thank you is not enough.

Cheers
Judi
That's no problem, figuring out which Reg Office covered there is the important bit.

I gave you the link for all of them there BUT you would be better off doing them in 5 year batches and looking at all results, then next 5 years etc, you might get more siblings for Isabella etc...

I only looked at a few!!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 02:02 BST (UK) »
"Am I right to assume this couple would have been in Derry their whole life or would you know during their lifetime they would have moved around into or from another County?  Have you ever heard of this at all please?......"

Assume nothing!! People did anything/everything.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 02:41 BST (UK) »
Another Ballynocker one... no sign of Marriage Reg @ Magherafelt

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 02:47 BST (UK) »
Nancy

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 09:16 BST (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!