Author Topic: Do I have the correct James Gow?  (Read 3597 times)

Offline Curlea

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Do I have the correct James Gow?
« on: Tuesday 25 April 17 00:57 BST (UK) »
I'll start by saying that I'm a newbie, so apologies straight up if I'm not doing this correctly.

My GGG James Gow emigrated to Launceston in 1855 from Scotland, d 1890 aged 66 (hence dob approx 1824). Married Elizabeth Blamey in Edinburgh 17/6/1851 (she from Cornwell). He was a plasterer in Australia and I have found a James Gow in the 1851 census in the same Parish he was married in, as a mason, 27 years old born in Creif.  Searching the SP database there is also another James Gow 27 Living in Edinburgh from Creif who was a soldier - hence my uncertainty with his parents.

I think that he is the son of Angus and Janet Alexander DOB Feb 1824 (in the parish of Alyth) as Angus Gow (born in Blair Atholl i think) was also a Mason. Help with this would also be appreciated.
My reason is that a Jean Alexander is listed in the 1841 census with a James Gow (15) as a Mason's ap, so I am thinking that he is living with his grandmother and thus the reason that I think his parents were Angus and Janet.

Any help with this would be most appreciated.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: Do I have the correct James Gow?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 04:06 BST (UK) »
Hello Curlea and welcome to rootschat!

Is this the death of your James GOW? died 1890 in Tasmania.
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article39556164

and
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article150353567
says native of Perthshire

Do you have a death certificate, or a marriage certificate which might have the names of James parents?

Added: I'm not sure what information would be included on the death certificate, but the marriage certificate should show fathers' names and occupations.

Added again: Oh sorry, just realised you said they were married in Scotland in 1851, so before compulsory registration there  :-[.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 04:26 BST (UK) »
I also notice on his arrival in 1855 he gave his age as 27, so born around 1828. Ages are often very fluid!
(looking on the Tasmanian names Index https://linctas.ent.sirsidynix.net.au)

Offline Curlea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 08:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you Maddys52 for your prompt reply!

I do have the extract from the parish register of St Cuthberts and it notes James as a plasterer and Elizabeth as being from Cornwell (Blazey) and her father was the late James Blamey - a copper miner. Nothing about James parents.

Yes the news article is about James. I also noted the difference in the age from the immigration record, but ultimately thought that the death notice was more accurate. I don't have the actual certificate.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 08:26 BST (UK) »
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Curlea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 08:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ev I'll add this to my collection.

I've pretty much established him from this end (Australia). Im really having the most trouble/certainty at the Scottish end.  Or should I say the Scottish beginning!

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 08:47 BST (UK) »
Hi

The James Gow you have identified as a soldier in Edinburgh in the 1851 census age 27 b Crieff would appear to be married to Cathrine and with a 10 month old daughter, Isabella. It looks like Cathrine, Isabella and two further children are recorded as living in Crieff in the 1861 census.

You may find it useful to look at Freecen where the 1851 census for Midlothian has been transcribed. There is a record showing for a James Gow age 25 b Comrie, Perthshire and a plasterer - address 23 West Richmond Street.

William

Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Curlea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 08:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks William, I think we have a match!
That's his address on his marriage record.

:)

Offline Curlea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 27 April 17 07:58 BST (UK) »
Hmmmm, now I'm in trouble. ???

The only birth I can find in Comrie is for a John Gow. 6/11/1825

Does anyone have any suggestion or magic links which might help me here?