Author Topic: Do I have the correct James Gow?  (Read 3610 times)

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Do I have the correct James Gow?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 29 April 17 23:25 BST (UK) »
There is a James Gow born Crieff on 10th Feb 1822 in Crieff to James Gow and Ann McGregor?

Crieff and Comrie are VERY close to each other which could explain the discrepancy?
mtDNA subclade K1b2b. Father's Y-DNA I-S25383
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Sheret, Hosie, Valentine, Crow, Beattie, McArthur, Wyllie.
Angus (Forfarshire)
Adam, Valentine, Ewan, Elder, Guild, Kydd, Bradford, Stronner, Gibson, Cloudsley, Evans, Stewart, Stott.
Perthshire
Small, Robertson, Murray, Kennedy, McGregor
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 29 April 17 23:29 BST (UK) »
Also note that the ages in the 1841 census aren't accurate for anyone 15 or over as they tended to round them.

Other people living with James Gow in the 1841 census;

Name   Age
Jean Alexander   70
James Alexander   35
James Gow   15
Cherry Gow   14  (see below re Cherry)
David Laing   25

I think that he is the son of Angus and Janet Alexander DOB Feb 1824 (in the parish of Alyth) as Angus Gow (born in Blair Atholl i think) was also a Mason. Help with this would also be appreciated.
My reason is that a Jean Alexander is listed in the 1841 census with a James Gow (15) as a Mason's ap, so I am thinking that he is living with his grandmother and thus the reason that I think his parents were Angus and Janet.

Found the following on SP

GOW
CHRISTIAN
ANGUS GOW/JANET ALEXANDER
23/11/1826
328/
60 36
Alyth

This could be the 'Cherry' listed in the 1841 census and potentially James' sister.

Also

GOW
JAMES
ANGUS GOW/JANET ALEXANDER
02/02/1824
328/
60 25
Alyth

It looks like he was born in Alyth and not Crieff or Comrie?

I think given the fact Angus and Janet had a girl called Christian (this is a common alternative to 'Christina' she is listed as a girl on SP births) and later appears at the same address named 'Cherry Gow' as James in 1841 that James born in Alyth in 1824 is the correct one.

Given that Christian/Cherry was born in November she would've turned 15 in November 1841. Census would've been taken in March or April so she would've been 14 on the date it was taken. I think this is the one you're looking for.
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Angus (Forfarshire)
Adam, Valentine, Ewan, Elder, Guild, Kydd, Bradford, Stronner, Gibson, Cloudsley, Evans, Stewart, Stott.
Perthshire
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Offline Curlea

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 30 April 17 06:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks Liviani,

It is certainly a little cryptic. I originally thought that I had the correct James Gow, starting with the 1851 census which had him as a mason (thinking it was similar to a plasterer) and thus my subsequent research led me to Angus and Janet as his parents.

However, William pointed out another James Gow in the 1851 Edinburgh census who was in fact a plasterer (his occupation in Australia). This James Gow was also living in the same street which is listed on his marriage certificate. He was born in Comrie. So as I do not know the area, I'm not sure if I can still claim that they are his parents... The birth cert I have for James Gow born 2/2/25: Parent Angus from Little Bamff - again not sure where this is.

The 1841 James Gow living with Jean Alexander was a mason's apprentice and this is also raising a red flag, so again I am unsure.

I really appreciate your assistance with this!

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 30 April 17 06:56 BST (UK) »
There must be a family tree for Neil Gow the Atholl fiddler?

Skoosh.

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 30 April 17 09:06 BST (UK) »
According to the 1841 census transcription on freecen the 14 year old female was Christy ( not Cherry) which would certainly be a diminutive of Christian.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 30 April 17 10:57 BST (UK) »
Crieff and Comrie are quite far apart. I think it is more likely that James belongs to one of the Gow families having children in Comrie in the 1820's and that his birth/baptism just hasn't been recorded. There is an 1841 census entry in Comrie for a John ( age 55) and Cecilia (age 50) who have a 14 year old son called James ( NB surname transcribed as Gorn on Ancestry).
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 30 April 17 11:48 BST (UK) »
I agree with Isobel. Do you know the names of all of James's children as there might be a naming pattern worth exploring? As suggested earlier I think it would be worth obtaining his  Tasmanian death cert. as this is the most likely source of finding parents names.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 30 April 17 17:17 BST (UK) »
Crieff and Comrie are quite far apart. I think it is more likely that James belongs to one of the Gow families having children in Comrie in the 1820's and that his birth/baptism just hasn't been recorded. There is an 1841 census entry in Comrie for a John ( age 55) and Cecilia (age 50) who have a 14 year old son called James ( NB surname transcribed as Gorn on Ancestry).
Isobel

I'd have to agree with Isobel here. This does make sense.

I think the 1841 census with John, Cececilia and James is worth exploring.

The following marriage record is showing on SP. They married in Comrie and are still there (or returned to there) by the 1841 census.

GOW
JOHN
CICILIA CAMRON/    (Probably Cameron)
17/06/1810
341/
20 462
Comrie

The John Gow in 1841 was living in Drummond Street, Comrie and his occupation was Tailor.

EDIT:

I've found the same family in Comrie in the 1851 Census on FreeCen (Comrie isn't available on FreeCen for 1841 at present).

It shows a daughter Cecilia which IF these are the same people you're after that there possibly was some form of naming pattern used for this family.

Piece: SCT1851/341 Place: Comrie -Perth Enumeration District: 1
Civil Parish: Comrie Ecclesiastical Parish, Village or Island: Comrie
Folio: 0 Page: 8 Schedule: 36
Address: East Comrie

Surname       First name(s)       Rel       Status       Sex       Age       Occupation       Where Born       Remarks   
        GOW       John       Head       M       M       70       Master Tailor        Perth - Comrie           
        GOW       Cecilia       Wife       M       F       64               Perth - Crieff           
        GOW       Cecilia       Dau       U       F       24       Formerly Serv At Home        Perth - Comrie           
        MCARTHUR       Jane       Grndau       U       F       2               Perth - Comrie           

On searching SP for births to John and Cecilia (with various spellings) in Comrie between 1810 (date of their marriage) and 1830 I only get 3 births pop up.

GOW
JANET
JOHN GOW/CILIA CAMRON
14/11/1811
341/
20 322
Comrie

GOW
CATHRINE
JOHN GOW/CICILIA CAMRON
07/06/1814
341/
20 332
Comrie

GOW
ALEXANDER
JOHN GOW/CECILIA CAMERON
03/01/1829
341/
30 31
Comrie

Notice the huge gap in years between 1814 and 1829 and the lack of Ceceilia's birth record also. This indicates that they didn't register any births between the birth of Catherine in 1814 and the birth of Alexander in 1829. Given that James appears as son in the 1841 census and the lack of birth record available for James (and his sister) that this could be them?
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Angus (Forfarshire)
Perthshire
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Offline Curlea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 13:59 BST (UK) »
Oh thank you everyone, this is great!

James's first son was John and he also had a daughter Cecilia.

This is something I will definitely follow up on. I really appreciate all the trouble you have gone to.

:)