Author Topic: McEwin & Stevenson.....  (Read 1864 times)

Offline TerriC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
McEwin & Stevenson.....
« on: Tuesday 25 April 17 04:15 BST (UK) »
My ancestor John McEWIN emigrated to Australia with his wife (Margaret Hester Daniel) and some of their children in 1839. His eldest son George McEWIN had emigrated the year before.

In "East Galloway Sketches" by Dr Alexander Trotter (1901), Dr Trotter refers to this family very specifically (he has knowledge of George's activities in South Australia), and states that the father of John McEWIN "married a STEVENSON of New Galloway". The McEWINs were living in Auchencairn in KKD.
Based on other research, I am very confident that this STEVENSON is either Jean or Margaret, both daughters of Thomas STEVENSON who is a descendant of John STEVENSON of Barbeth, the famous Covenanter.

So....I am trying to discover which STEVENSON it was, and what the name of John's father was (Trotter refers to him as Mr McEwen).
I have scoured the OPR's with absolutely no luck at all. From various shipping records and his death certificate, it seems John McEWIN was born around 1796. Jean STEVENSON was born in 1767 and Margaret in 1764 - both in Dalry.

I have thoroughly researched the McEWIN families in Australia (and happy to share info with anyone who is interested), and now I am trying to discover more about their Scottish roots.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Terri
Collis, McKinley, Walsh, Griffin, Thirkill, Stephenson, Turner, O'Connor, McEwin, Grant, Woodburn, Bright, Farrell, Daniel, Nash, Simpson, Collins, Delaney, Blanchfield, Bell

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McEwin & Stevenson.....
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 09:03 BST (UK) »
Hi

I've been looking through the KKD MIs and find nothing so far in Dalry, Auchencairn or Rerrick ( in which Auchencairn was oringinally a part of). However, I have found this entry in the Kells MIs which relates to the Trotter family and a Stevenson.

IMO of Grizel Stevenson d New Galloway 1. 1840, 85, h. Dr R Trotter, Alex d. 12.4.1812, Grizel, d. Dalry -.12.1868, 67, Jean and Isobel, d at Viewfield when young.
Then a list of the Trotters~ including ref to Alexander Trotter of East Galloway Sketches fame.

Wondering if this is why the Stevenson/McEwin family are referred to in his book. 

I'm not sure if I'll be able to investigate more on Grizel Stevenson to see if there is a connection as I'm fairly busy today, but it's worth following up.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline TerriC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: McEwin & Stevenson.....
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 10:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget,
Thanks for looking in to this for me - really appreciated  :)
Yes - Grizel STEVENSON was the sister of the Jean & Margaret I mentioned, and she married Robert Trotter.....so yes, that's the connection.
They also had a brother William, who was a Captain involved in the American War of Independence. I have oodles of info about the Trotters and Grizel, including the MI's you have referred to. I also have a considerable amount of info about the STEVENSON ancestry - so even though I don't know if it was Jean or Margaret that married the McEWIN, I can certainly trace backwards from them.

My real challenge is the McEWIN line - and I'm hoping if I can find the STEVENSON - McEWIN link, I'll be able to go back further with the McEWIN's.

A number of John McEWINs children were born at Balcary in Rerrick, so there is definitely a link there as well.

If you have any other ideas, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks so much again for replying  :)

Cheers,
Terri
Collis, McKinley, Walsh, Griffin, Thirkill, Stephenson, Turner, O'Connor, McEwin, Grant, Woodburn, Bright, Farrell, Daniel, Nash, Simpson, Collins, Delaney, Blanchfield, Bell