Author Topic: George William SHEPHERD - Indian Army Commissions in WWII  (Read 778 times)

Offline Skoyen89

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George William SHEPHERD - Indian Army Commissions in WWII
« on: Tuesday 25 April 17 06:22 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find out more about George William Shepherd who was a Temp Capt/Major with the 4th Battalion, 15th Punjab Regiment from 1943 to 1945. he served in the fighting in the Arakan,  in the relief of Kohima and in the taking of Burma in 1945.

Looking though Shepherd's Officers Record Book It shows that he was in the UK in the ranks and then went to the Indian Military Academy from May to Sept 1942 as an Officer Cadet and after this he was Commissioned. From an Internet Search it looks like the IMA was at Dehra Dun. Is there any way of telling which of the four courses for British Officer Cadets run in 1942 he was on?

His personal number was EC6918 and he was granted an Emergency Commission. I am having trouble finding him in the London Gazette. Would Indian Army Commissions such as his, and subsequent promotions, be recorded in the LG or are they to be found elsewhere?

It is interesting that in the Officer Lists in the 1943 War Diary all the British Officers seem to be Temporary Captains and there is a mix of Lieutenants who are Indian in the Officer Lists. However in the text of the War Diary there are also Subedars and Jemedars which are clearly 'local' ranks. How would these various ranks have been distributed in the Battalion?

He was born on 29th December 1922.  After the war he seems to have lived in Great Boughton, Chester and worked at Martins Bank.  He died on 12th January 1995, aged 72. 
Honeyman and Callaway Families
Men and Women commemorated on Tetsworth War Memorial

Offline daretodiscover

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: George William SHEPHERD - Indian Army Commissions in WWII
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 15:15 BST (UK) »
I think the EC in the number offered stands for Emergency Commission.
There is a George William Shepherd in the LG, commissioned from cadet to 2nd Lt 1 March 1942 into the Royal Corps of Signals. The number was 233582, which can be followed to 1957.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/35562/supplement/2166/data.pdf

DTD

Offline Skoyen89

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: George William SHEPHERD - Indian Army Commissions in WWII
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 08:27 BST (UK) »
Hi DTD
I don't think that is the same person as he was invalided out in 1946 and was clearly in the 4/15 Punjab Regiment as I have the War Diary for 1943 which names him. 
Like you I think EC stands for Emergency Commission which fits the facts as I know them.

Thanks for your response  :)
Honeyman and Callaway Families
Men and Women commemorated on Tetsworth War Memorial