Author Topic: George STOUT b 1842  (Read 770 times)

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George STOUT b 1842
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 09:17 BST (UK) »
What about marriages for his children, they may record him as deceased or not in certain years to give us a clue  :)
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 09:26 BST (UK) »
There is  George Stout born Orkney 1842, son of George Stout in 1851 and 1861 Scottish census.

But still not sure how that connects to the George that for at least 40 years says he was born in Liverpool or even more specifically in one census Everton

Offline chelmick65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 10:32 BST (UK) »
Lancsann
Thanks for all the information
Yes I know the census form say born Liverpool, not sure but they were filled in by enumerator and if most in family were from Liverpool might have got through like that

I looked and there was a George Stout born in Liverpool about same age but according to census he did not marry and lived with his Mum and was a boot maker/ cobbler.
The Cotton Porter makes sense as his son in law was also a Cotton Porter

My Aunt is 102 and still quite lucid and says her Mothers family (Ellen STOUT - georges daughter) came from the Scottish Islands

Offline chelmick65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 10:34 BST (UK) »
Milliepede
Thanks - I will certainly look at that - and come back - Ta

Offline chelmick65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 11:01 BST (UK) »
Milliepede
I have looked and the last child to marry was Mary Jane in 1913 and he was alive then! All the others that have marriage records married before 1911 census
Cheers thanks for the thought

Offline chelmick65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 13:15 BST (UK) »
I'm now wondering if George - who was with his daughter Ellen and here husband in 1911, moved out when Ellen had twin girls in 1916 to give them space. His other 2 daughters would have been married by then and 'rumour' has it he was with one of them for a few years, The family moved from Everton to Queens Drive Walton in 1925 and he did not move with them.

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 13:35 BST (UK) »
Lancsann
Thanks for all the information
Yes I know the census form say born Liverpool, not sure but they were filled in by enumerator and if most in family were from Liverpool might have got through like that

I looked and there was a George Stout born in Liverpool about same age but according to census he did not marry and lived with his Mum and was a boot maker/ cobbler.
The Cotton Porter makes sense as his son in law was also a Cotton Porter

My Aunt is 102 and still quite lucid and says her Mothers family (Ellen STOUT - georges daughter) came from the Scottish Islands

fair enough - not the sort of thing a living person would make up and it was not uncommon for enumerators to get it wrong especially in Liverpool I think. I have not managed to find him in 1871. He is not at the address he gives on his marriage.

As Millipede says he could have died in Scotland. If your Aunt remembers him living with another daughter for a few years it seems like he lived for a while after 1911. Not being described as 'deceased' on a marriage certificate does not necessarily mean he was alive but it sound like he was.

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 14:09 BST (UK) »
There is a George Stout who was buried on Westray in 1919 but unfortunately the age is nor given