Author Topic: Marriage a long time after birth!!!!!!  (Read 1846 times)

Offline mientajb

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage a long time after birth!!!!!!
« on: Tuesday 25 April 17 20:32 BST (UK) »
Joseph Nicholson and Ann Young were married at All Saints Church, Penshaw, on the 25th April 1802. On the same day and and in the same church, they baptised their two first children. The first of these children was born in 1799, the second in 1801.

My question is simple. Was it usual for society to accept two people living together for that length of time after having children? Joseph was a Husbandman so his employment was probably not a reason as to why he may have been away from home.

Alan
Bookless,Varty, Collins, Birchall, Nicholson, Corlett, Barnett

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage a long time after birth!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 22:05 BST (UK) »
It depends whether there was a reason that they couldn't marry before - perhaps one was already married?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ChrissieL

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ben and John Hardman meeting up in Cairo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 22:21 BST (UK) »
My great great grandparents eventually married 30 years after their first child was born. They had 8 children together. They were both married to other people when they met and it wasn't until both their partners had died that they 'tied the knot'. On the census returns they where always registered as man and wife

Chris
Staffordshire: Lawton Probyn Horrobin
Durham: Bamlett Hardman Winship Robinson
Suffolk: Leggett

Offline Janelle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 22:25 BST (UK) »
Have you seen the original registers for any comments or opinion made by the vicar.

A husbandman would be further up the social scale than an ag lab. He is possibly managing a herd for another or has his own animals. In my experience the guy goes on to have his on tenancy of hundreds of acres on exmoor as did his father before and his son after ;)

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 07:53 BST (UK) »
My great grandparents married in London 21 years after the first of their 10 children were born  :o

That was in 1914,and I think they only did it then with war approaching. My gran was 14 by then.
She didn't know that her parents weren't married. Neither had been married before,just busy bringing up their family with limited money I guess.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 11:29 BST (UK) »
Have a situation in my ex-wifes side. Nasty 1st marriage ( reported in papers) . I found all the info on her, through papers , but could never find SA marriage. When the Victoria BDM came online I thought I would take a look see. Found it

Married 16 years after birth of 1st of 6 pre-marriage and 2 after.
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline mientajb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 16:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all for your replies. Seems that it was not unusual at all. Maybe it was simply the fact that when they wanted to baptise the children, the vicar would not do it unless the couple were married... a bit of emotional blackmail perhaps. Anyway, another surprise on the journey. Should be getting used to these now. Alan
Bookless,Varty, Collins, Birchall, Nicholson, Corlett, Barnett

Offline tildastar16

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 06 May 17 21:34 BST (UK) »
My great grandmother was married second time round (widowed of first husband in first war) by 'irregular marriage' via Sheriff Warrant and I read that at that time you could almost 'declare' yourself married (this is in Scotland) in certain circs and then have it confirmed by Sheriff later.  Apologies if this is wrong, but this made some sense to me as she was very particular and I couldn't imagine another circumstance in which she would have got married half way thru a pregnancy (as she clearly did!)