Author Topic: George Aplin & Charlotte Elizabeth Neale - My 2nd Great-Grandparents etc.  (Read 1285 times)

Offline samanthator

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hallo everyone - hoping that you might be able to help me in my research of my family tree.

I have managed to trace my tree back to my 2nd great-grandparents but have now hit the dreaded wall - so any assistance you could give me would be very welcome - and thanks in advance for reading my request.

Charlotte Elizabeth was born on 5 July 1830 in Battersea, London, and was baptised on 27 September at St Margaret's Church Westminster. 

Her baptism record shows her parents to be Bryan Neale and Sarah Ester/Esther Martin who married on 17 August 1829 at the same church.  Bryan was apparently a widower and their witnesses were John and Charlotte Martin - I am wondering if these are Sarah's parents but of course they could be her relatives such as brother and sister.

Sarah Esther was baptised on 17 April 1810 at St Marin-in-the-Fields, Westminster I think but I don't have any certificates to prove that this assumption is correct.

At one time I thought Charlotte Elizabeth' s father may have been Barnard or Bernard from Norfolk but her marriage certificate states that her father was Bryan but I cannot find any trace of him - birth or death dates or censuses apart from his Marriage.  However, he has to have been married already and possibly had children Sarah in 1818 and Robert in 1820 but I could be barking up the wrong tree completely.  As I have already made errors in this area of my family tree, I am trying to ensure I don't make similar mistakes again by jumping to assumptions too quickly.

Now her husband, George Aplin, is proving very difficult for me also.  I cannot state exactly when or where he was born as the censuses that I have from 1851-1901 give different places and times.  I think he could have been born in Thorncombe, Bridport, Broadwinsor in Dorset, but mentions are made of him being born in Devon as well anytime from 1825 to 1830.  According to his and Charlotte Elizabeth's Marriage Certificate his father was Joseph and already deceased when they married on 5 August 1849 - the venue being St Margaret's Church in Westminster yet again.

He was a Tailor and lived in and around London all his life - Cripplegate, St Luke's, Islington, Fish Street Hill, Barnsbury, Clerkenwell and Lambeth until his death on 4 June 1907 following a stroke.  He and Charlotte Elizabeth had 14 children from 1849 until 1872 and Charlotte Elizabeth died in her home in Lambeth on 2 March 1916.

Any information you can give me would be very gratefully received and thank you all for bothering to read my post.  I have only posted a very few times to date but have always received such great help and advice it encourages me to have another go.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Aplin & Charlotte Elizabeth Neale - My 2nd Great-Grandparents etc.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 00:09 BST (UK) »
The Sarah Martin baptised at St Martin in the Fields on 17 Apr 1810 is recorded as 'a foundling about fourteen months old'.  No middle name is stated for her.

She may have been given the name Martin because of the church's consecration to St Martin (the other foundling baptised on the same day was given the name Martin Lane, so perhaps he was found in St Martin's Lane).

She doesn't look an obvious match for your Sarah, who had Martin relatives to witness her marriage.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 00:23 BST (UK) »
Sarah Esther Neale was said to be aged 81 when she died at 8 Essex St, Southwark on 14 Dec 1880.

Her executor Alfred William Martin (cheesemonger) of 69 Buckingham Palace Rd, Middlesex may be related and if so is likely to be a useful clue to identifying her birth family.
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 00:29 BST (UK) »
Alfred W Martin in 1881 is 37 Single occ Cheesemonger etc giving pob St George, Hanover Sqare at 69 Buckingham Palace Road
Census Ref RG11/101/87/8
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 00:37 BST (UK) »
Alfred W Martin in 1881 is 37 Single occ Cheesemonger etc giving pob St George, Hanover Sqare at 69 Buckingham Palace Road
Census Ref RG11/101/87/8
Keyboard86

Ah yes.  He was also a Freemason, aged 28 (and a provision merchant, already at 69 Buckingham Palace Rd) when he was admitted to Grosvenor Lodge in 1872.

Likely baptism at St Peter Eaton Sq in the parish of St Geo Hanover Square is 31 Dec 1843 as son of William (oilman) and Elizabeth, of Victoria Rd.  Birthdate 11 Aug 1843.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 00:50 BST (UK) »
1851 census shows William Martin 45 cheesemonger b Westminster at 16 Victoria Rd Westminster with sons Alfred Wm 7 and Arthur Thos 5 (plus 3 servants).

No marital status is shown for William; no wife is present.

HO107/1478/356/31.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 00:53 BST (UK) »
William Martin, widower, cheesemonger, of St Peter's Pimlico then remarried at St Leonard's Shoreditch on 22 April 1852 to Susannah Bennett.

William named his father as William Martin, Army accoutrement maker.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 01:26 BST (UK) »
Briefly (for now) on Bryan Neale:

25 Apr 1809: Bryan Neale aged 8y 4m (son of James, a Private in the Coldstream Guards, & Elizabeth) was apprenticed to Joseph Bates, shoemaker, of 20 Great Duke St, Westminster Rd.

27 Jan 1822 at St Mary Lambeth: marr of Bryan Neale otp and Ellen Graves otp.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 01:37 BST (UK) »
Baptisms of the Neale children at St Margaret, Westminster:

27.09.1830: Charlotte Elizabeth, dau of Bryan (smith) and Sarah Esther, of Battersea Bridge Rd.
04.03.1832: Catherine Sarah, dau of Bryan (smith) and Sarah Hester, of Dean St, born 31.01.1832.
18.05.1834: William, son of Bryan (smith) and Sarah Hester, of Dean St, born 24.01.1834.
21.08.1836: Sarah, dau of Bryan (engineer) and Sarah Esther, of Woolwich.