Author Topic: Artist help to draw/depict blazon of arms & crest...  (Read 1796 times)

Offline Gjinja

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Artist help to draw/depict blazon of arms & crest...
« on: Wednesday 26 April 17 01:01 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm new here & while I'm fairly certain this isn't the best place to post this the 'Wanted' section stated I had to have posted several times elsewhere before posting there & I haven't so I took a chance here. Mods, feel free to move this to wherever is more appropriate. :)

My sister passed away not long ago & I discovered some papers in her things with ancestral information including a "Blazon of Arms" and a Crest description but no actual images. I'm looking for someone with decent artistry skills who is also familiar with heraldry that wouldn't mind helping me get a better idea of what these may have looked like.

Thanks... sweet site btw :)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Artist help to draw/depict blazon of arms & crest...
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 06:56 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat! ;D

I use a website called DrawShield:
http://drawshield.net/drawshield/

It can handle most blazons - but does have some limitations.

Feel free to contact me if you're having trouble with it  ;D

There is a Heraldry section on the forum - http://www.rootschat.com/forum/heraldry/.
I will ask a mod to move this thread. Topic moved.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Online Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 09:25 BST (UK) »
Please post the blazon and/or description, or send a message to me.

I have some heraldic skills and may be able to help.

But please be aware that a coat of arms belongs to an individual (through extension and with minor differences to his or her family), but NOT to everybody with the same name. So if someone called Jones has a coat of arms, that does not mean that it belongs to every Jones in the Country.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline Gjinja

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 22:19 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat! ;D

I use a website called DrawShield:
http://drawshield.net/drawshield/

It can handle most blazons - but does have some limitations.

Feel free to contact me if you're having trouble with it  ;D

There is a Heraldry section on the forum - http://www.rootschat.com/forum/heraldry/.
I will ask a mod to move this thread. Topic moved.

KGarrad thank you very much for your reply & time. I'll check that site out & see if I can put something together.

Have a great day :)

Offline Gjinja

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 23:18 BST (UK) »
Please post the blazon and/or description, or send a message to me.

I have some heraldic skills and may be able to help.

But please be aware that a coat of arms belongs to an individual (through extension and with minor differences to his or her family), but NOT to everybody with the same name. So if someone called Jones has a coat of arms, that does not mean that it belongs to every Jones in the Country.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Chas

Kiltpin, thank you as well for your response & willingness to explore this. I am fully aware of the 'claim to rights' (for lack for a better way to put it) regarding coats of arms, etc. In fact, the paper work I found is very clear regarding several things, including: *The "Laws of Arms" points out that a 'Coat of Arms' is awarded to individuals, not families. That, while people are welcome to display Coats of Arms, Crests, etc as works of art in our homes, the "Laws of Heraldry" are still enforceable and enforced in some countries. Before displaying them in public we should always check with the applicable governing bodies.

According to the entity my sister was working with these particular designs were in fact awarded/assigned to a person with my same family surname name or a variant deemed to be a root of the westernized version (which, in my family names case is directly traceable to a single individual entering the USA, from England to Virginia, in 1635).

Regardless, I'm more interested in what they look like as a curiosity more than laying claim to anything. I'll reproduce the descriptions below, if you wind up not having the time I completely understand, I appreciate any help you could offer & I'll thank you in advance.

Have a great day! :)

(these are worded & punctuated precisely as on the document)

Blazon Of Arms: Argent on a bend sable a rose between two griffins' heads erased or, within a bordure engrailed azure.

Crest: A lion's head erased vert, winged argent and sable, on the neck two bends or.

Origin: England

Online Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 23:52 BST (UK) »
Blazon Of Arms: Argent on a bend Sable a rose between two griffins' heads erased Or within a bordure engrailed Azure.

I have attached a correct emblazon of the blazon given, but have added some little artistic licence.

The bend is the darkest grey that I can manage without it being black (Sable). Likewise the rose and the two griffins are yellow out lined in a darker yellow (Or). This is how the College of Arms do it - using lighter or darker tones of the same colour as highlights.

The bordure engrailed Azure lead me to believe that the arms were originally Scottish as they use bordures to denote cadet branches. It is part of what they call the Stoddart system. Possibly originally Scottish, but later re-granted in England to a son, maybe.

If you give me the name of the armiger, I will be able to do some further digging.

The crest will have to wait till tomorrow. The blazon is giving me some pause for thought - it is not immediately obvious what is meant. Here again, the armiger's name would be a great asset.

So far so good.

Regards

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline Gjinja

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 27 April 17 00:13 BST (UK) »
Wow, thanks for the timely reply & great work. I am indeed in your debt. :)

If by "armiger" you mean the name of the person awarded the Coat of Arms, I can only tell you my last name (the amigers surname) is/was Carrell. We're told it has French origins but came to the US from England through a 'Henry Carrell' in 1635, as mentioned earlier. I have no clue as to whether he was the actual armiger or not.

Again thanks for your help. Were my sister alive today she would be truly grateful. She was the ancestry buff in the family & was enthralled with all of this.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 27 April 17 00:18 BST (UK) »
Try CARYLL of Kingston (Surrey). Admittedly not identical, but very close

https://www.surreycc.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0006/36438/Surrey-Coats-of-Arms-A-H.pdf
"CARYLL of Kingston-upon-Thames. Ancestors of the Carylls of Chatteris, Isle of Ely, Cambridgeshire.
Arms: Argent on a bend Sable a rose Or between two griffin heads erased of the first, all within a bordure engrailed Azure.
Crest: A lion head erased Vert charged with two bends Or between as many wings, one Argent, the other Sable.
As borne (SV1623) by Blaze Caryll of Kingston, 4th son of Richard Caryll, (d.1576), of London and Great Tangley, and as displayed on the brass in Kingston Church to Anne, (d.Oct 1, 1623), daughter of Blaze Caryll, and wife of Mark Snelling. (SAC xxix 108)"

Offline Gjinja

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 27 April 17 00:22 BST (UK) »
Nice... I can't thank you enough! :)