Author Topic: Help with Henry HARRISON born 1871 in Tynemouth  (Read 1881 times)

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with Henry HARRISON born 1871 in Tynemouth
« on: Wednesday 26 April 17 07:53 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I'm looking for some help with a sort of family mystery - what happened to Henry?

Henry was born between July and September in 1871 (possibly 28th July) to Robert Harrison and Mary Jane Lowe in Tynemouth (or more likely North Shields). In September 1892 he married Margaret Hogarth at Holy Saviours church in North Shields.

He had four children with her between 1893 and 1901, Annie Lowe Harrison, Margaret Lee Harrison, Henry Harrison and Isabella Harrison.

He doesn't appear on the 1911 census with the rest of the family however the voters register in the local library shows him as registered at the home address every year from 1901 up to 1911/12 when the books stop.

Family legend tells us that Henry was cut out of his fathers will and hardly ever spoken about but we don't know why.

In Dec 1916 his daughter Annie Lowe Harrison died and a family announcement was put in the papers "greatly missed by ....". He was not named in the announcement or any of the subsequent ones in each of the following years (I'm up to about 1935 so far).

So in short he has disappeared from the family at some point between 1911 and 1916 and barely spoken of since. What happened to him?

I did find a possible match for him as there is a Henry Harrison married to a lady in Newcastle a few years after but I don't know if it's him or not.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Michael
Dale (Newcastle Upon Tyne), Beck, English, Hall, Harrison, Stephenson (all from the North Shields, South Shields area), Woodger (from the Newcastle and Liss areas)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Henry HARRISON born 1871 in Tynemouth
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 07:56 BST (UK) »

I did find a possible match for him as there is a Henry Harrison married to a lady in Newcastle a few years after but I don't know if it's him or not.

Hi Michael
Could you give us details of what you have found for this so we can look at it and possibly eliminate it.
Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 08:39 BST (UK) »
Morning Rosie,

I didn't make a note of her details because it was such a tenuous link, it was literally just someone who happened to have the same name and was in Newcastle.

Stupid I know but that's what I did.

Michael
Dale (Newcastle Upon Tyne), Beck, English, Hall, Harrison, Stephenson (all from the North Shields, South Shields area), Woodger (from the Newcastle and Liss areas)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 10:35 BST (UK) »
Not stupid, we all do it.  ;D

I wonder how accurate the family legend was on him being cut out of his fathers will. He obviously upset someone if that was the case, the executors appear to be his two youngest sons
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 13:35 BST (UK) »
I need to check the relationship of the source of the legend but I believe it was one of his daughters who said it. I know the lady is definitely a close relation so I think it was quite reliable.

Michael

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 22:32 BST (UK) »
He obviously upset someone if that was the case, the executors appear to be his two youngest sons

Hi Rosie,

Can I just check we are talking about Robert's kids? As in Henry's brothers?

Thanks,

Michael

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 27 April 17 00:05 BST (UK) »
Henry was born between July and September in 1871 (possibly 28th July) to Robert Harrison and Mary Jane Lowe in Tynemouth (or more likely North Shields). In September 1892 he married Margaret Hogarth at Holy Saviours church in North Shields.

He had four children with her between 1893 and 1901, Annie Lowe Harrison, Margaret Lee Harrison, Henry Harrison and Isabella Harrison.

From the GRO indexes & confirmed by the 1911 & there was at least one other child, Alfred, born Sep qtr 1903, MMN Hogarth, but this is a bit of a mystery:

HARRISON, MARY  ELIZABETH       MMN:  HOGARTH     
GRO Reference: 1905  S Quarter in GATESHEAD  Volume 10A  Page 1085
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 27 April 17 01:40 BST (UK) »
Mary Elizabeth is still a mystery as she doesn't tally with the number of children Margaret stated on the 1911, but there is an article in the Shields Daily Gazette, 12 March 1904 about Henry Harrison assaulting his wife Margaret on 8th March 1904, and by the sounds of it giving her a nasty black eye. 

Margaret said that for the past 3-months Henry had been "drinking heavily and otherwise misconducting himself".  Henry said he was sorry and would try to live a better life.  Fined 10s and costs.  This was his fifth appearance in court. In Dec 1899 he was before the magistrates for desertion and an order was made upon him.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 27 April 17 01:55 BST (UK) »
A little more about the 1899 desertion, from Shields Daily Gazette, 5 Dec 1899.

Henry Harrison was summoned for deserting his wife and three children but did not appear.  He had come into £200 a few weeks previously and since then he had done no work and had been squandering all the money.  He left home a week ago and not given her any money and she was now destitute and had been obliged to go to her sisters house in Linskill Street. The bench granted a separation order with an allowance of 15s /week.  Custody of the children granted to the complainant.