Author Topic: Henry Rogers burial  (Read 3820 times)

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Rogers burial
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 22:14 BST (UK) »
Well found KHP.   :)   

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 22:19 BST (UK) »
A very handsome monument for Louisa ... but nothing for Henry at that cemetery that I could find.

https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=roger&GSiman=1&GScid=2485855&GRid=105826501&

~  Lu

Offline anitawanita

• RootsChat Member
  • We are all related somehow!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 23:14 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Going to throw this in.   NZSG have in their collection a death cert for a Henry Rogers 16 Jul 1910 at Pukekohe, and this looks like the burial : 30 Sept 1910, place Tamahere.

At Hamilton East on December 28, Joseph Andrew Montie Rogers, 2nd son of Henry and Louisa Rogers of Briarley, Tamahere aged 29 years.  The funeral will leave for the Hamilton West Cemetery at 3 o'clock this day [Waikato Times, Thursday 29 Dec 1892 + Funeral Report Sat 31 Dec 1892]

Cheers
KHP

This is so interesting, thank you

Does this mean it is our Henry Rogers who died in 1910 and his age was over exaggerated on his death certificate? Would he have been cremated in Pukekohe and his ashes interred in Tamahere two months later?

Henry was a retired farmer, he could have looked 10 years older than he was!

There was a tiny little headstone in between Henry and James Henry Rogers graves in Pukekohe - the writing was hard to decipher but at the time I thought it read Mrs Rogers.

Manning, Guildford/Guilford, Love, McEneany, Bernard, Aislabie, Potter, Cain/Kean, West, Ross, Nicholls, Dearle, Rogers, Howard, Fergusson, Raynor, Butler, Bland, Smart, Greig, de Almeida (Azores)...

Offline anitawanita

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 23:19 BST (UK) »
Photo of Henry and Louisa Rogers

EDIT: which didn't work.. sorry!
Manning, Guildford/Guilford, Love, McEneany, Bernard, Aislabie, Potter, Cain/Kean, West, Ross, Nicholls, Dearle, Rogers, Howard, Fergusson, Raynor, Butler, Bland, Smart, Greig, de Almeida (Azores)...

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 27 April 17 05:04 BST (UK) »

Does this mean it is our Henry Rogers who died in 1910 and his age was over exaggerated on his death certificate? Would he have been cremated in Pukekohe and his ashes interred in Tamahere two months later?

He probably could have been, but I think cremations had just started about then, and I am not sure if the body had to travel some distance to the crematorium.  Someone more in the knowledge of cremations would know.

Have you purchased the death printout?  I am only going by the scant information I have on my resources.

Cheers
KHP

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline anitawanita

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 27 April 17 05:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks, yes i think that's the next step! :)

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 27 April 17 09:29 BST (UK) »

*    Might he have gone to live with one of his children ?

~  Lu

Probably.  1896 E/R for Waikato show Henry Rogers as a farmer at Tamahere.   1905/1906 E/R for Manukau show a Henry Rogers Snr, Henry Rogers Jnr, farmers at Papatoitoi, along with a Margaret Ellen.

School records show a Henry Rogers who attended Tamahere School in 1885 with a birth date of
16 Apr 1874.  There is a Henry Rogers buried in Pukekohe Cemetery who died in 1953 at the age of 78.

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 27 April 17 20:38 BST (UK) »

Probably.  1896 E/R for Waikato show Henry Rogers as a farmer at Tamahere.   1905/1906 E/R for Manukau show a Henry Rogers Snr, Henry Rogers Jnr, farmers at Papatoitoi, along with a Margaret Ellen.

School records show a Henry Rogers who attended Tamahere School in 1885 with a birth date of
16 Apr 1874.  There is a Henry Rogers buried in Pukekohe Cemetery who died in 1953 at the age of 78.

Cheers
KHP

Hi KHP

Yes, I had the Henry ROGERS, farmer, from e/rolls ... hence asking about whether he might have lived with one of his children (and a reason for him having died in the Pukekohe area).   ;)

Louisa Rogers was buried at the Tamahere cemetery in Hautapu in 1897

They married in Kent before emigrating to New Zealand with all of their children

cheers

This is probably "Junior" Henry ?
NZBDM (online) - Birth

1875 - ROGERS - Henry
Parents:  Louisa and Henry

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 27 April 17 20:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks, yes i think that's the next step! :)

... or have you checked with the other researchers (@ ancestry) as to whether one of them already has a copy of the death printout ?  (Might save you some $$  ? )   ;D

~  Lu