Author Topic: Ainsty Hunt Kennels in York  (Read 2160 times)

Offline Thornwood

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ainsty Hunt Kennels in York
« on: Wednesday 26 April 17 09:58 BST (UK) »
As a member of The Foxwod Local History Group in York I am embarking on research into the Kennels and the people who worked there. The kennels kept the hounds for the Ainsty Hunt and were situated on Kennel Lane (later to be called Foxwood Lane) in the district of Acomb. I think they were built in the mid 20s and were demolished at some time in the 70s.  From old photos there is a house  with the other buildings so presumably a family lived on the site.
Any info from root chatters would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks. 
Thornwood

Offline Thornwood

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ainsty Hunt Kennels in York
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 April 18 10:19 BST (UK) »
Although Rootschatters were unable to help with my original enquiry I may now be able to help others in the future. I found that the kennels had been built in 1849 but rebuilt in the 1880s. I now know who lived there and their day to day jobs. I had photos of the kennels in a derelict state but was unable to find a picture of it as a working kennel until a a surprise find on e-bay when I spotted a picture of a wood block engraving of the kennels when first opened.
So if anyone in the future is researching the now disbanded Y&A Hunt, the kennels or the Acomb people who worked there I may be able to help.