Author Topic: Long time brick wall death record of Catherine Nolan.Any help appreciated.  (Read 4723 times)

Offline alpinecottage

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Long time brick wall death record of Catherine Nolan.Any help appreciated.
« Reply #27 on: Friday 28 April 17 17:57 BST (UK) »
The birth was registered by a woman from the workhouse who couldn't write (presumably, as she made her mark when registering the birth) so she may have made a mistake and not been able to read it to correct it.  The baptism details were probably given by one of the parents, so if I had to put money on which one's more likely to be correct, I'd go for the baptismal record.....I think!

Have you found any evidence of baby Anna dying in either Ireland or England, or alive in England?
Perrins - Manchester and Staffs
Honan - Manchester and Ireland
Hogg - Manchester 19 cent
Anderson - Newcastle mid 19 cent
Boullen - London then Carlisle then Manchester
Comer - Manchester and Galway

Offline Jan48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 28 April 17 20:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for your considerations - I had also begun to wonder if there could still be a connection as it seems as though there has been a recording error anyway.
My original thought was the family were travelling from Lisblake after having 2 more children there going to the Dublin area to make their way to England to join their son Thomas (on 1881c married with 1 child) in Burnley area.
The 2nd child Mary Anne born in Lisblake died in infancy like the 1st but her death is registered in Celbridge which is only 14miles from Dublin - this was only 2years before the Anna Dublin birth querie you have been discussing.
From both of your research experiences does this seem a reasonable assumption to work on ?? :-\

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 28 April 17 21:08 BST (UK) »
Wonder if any helpful clues in Workhouse records? (although mother might just be there to have baby)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline alpinecottage

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 28 April 17 22:29 BST (UK) »
If the family had sailed from Dublin, they would probably have arrived in Liverpool area.  There are deaths of a Catherine Nolan registered Toxteth and West Derby aged in her 40s in 1879 (age depends on what index you look on) and  baby Annie Nolan died in Manchester  area in 1880.
A possible scenario is that they arrived Liverpool shortly after the birth and Catherine died soon  after.  The baby may have then been fostered out or died within a year or so of her birth.

Do you know where son Thomas married and who witnessed it? That may give a clue to when the entire family arrived in England, and thus help clear up the 1879 birth.

Added: Also, where was Thomas senior buried?  Remotely possible that he was buried with his wife?     

Offline Jan48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 29 April 17 09:43 BST (UK) »
Thomas buried with daughter Ellen -attached
On daughter Catherine's death cert he is a labourer -attached
Have checked over the years for burials in Burnley areas for Catherine with no luck but yes the Liverpool theory is good so will check out
1901 Thomas on parish relief yet in 1902 he bought a double grave for his daughter Ellen and to be honest it's the smartest one in the Catholic graveyard in Barrowford. Cannot imagine where the money came from!!!
Thomas's daughter's marriage to James Sullivan in Burnley 1889 I only have the index as it's Catholic and are more difficult to access online.
1889 & 1886 son Thomas has 2 of his children buried in Burnley Cem. so have checked for Catherine here.
Daughter Catherine buried in St John the Evangelist churchyard,Great Marsden,Burnley - also checked here.
 :)Can't believe you're both trying to help me like this.Many thanks :-*

Offline Jan48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 29 April 17 09:49 BST (UK) »
Haven't got son Thomas's marr.date but will check later- would be around 1879 -1880 :)

Offline alpinecottage

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 29 April 17 10:43 BST (UK) »

1901 Thomas on parish relief yet in 1902 he bought a double grave for his daughter Ellen and to be honest it's the smartest one in the Catholic graveyard in Barrowford. Cannot imagine where the money came from!!!

The headstone may have been erected later, some time after Thomas's death and paid for by the rest of the family.  Likewise, the extended family may have chipped in to buy the plot - to give you a price indication, a 4 person plot in Warrington Cemy in 1873 cost 15/- (heavens above; that's 75pence in today's money!)

Offline Jan48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 29 April 17 11:40 BST (UK) »
I saw the original grave records at the presbytery - the parish priest even copied them for me which was a lucky break at the time. It was Thomas who purchased the double plot for Ellen and himself also with a note attached that absolutely no other person to be buried in the grave.He did not like Ellen's husband because as stories were passed down the family especially from my father that "Ellen's husband was cruel to her."  I later found this to be correct as I found a newspaper article from the Burnley Express in 1900 when Ellen's husband was charged with assaulting her.

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 29 April 17 14:11 BST (UK) »
Haven't got son Thomas's marr.date but will check later- would be around 1879 -1880 :)

Not sure if I missed this on your thread but what was Thomas Nolan Jnr' wife & daughter's name?

Were they both named Bridget?

If so,

1881 census Thomas NOLAN married to Bridget and a dau Bridget age 1
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q275-6Q5F

I've not come across a NOLAN/FEENEY marriage on FreeBMD or Lancashire BMD, so perhaps they married in Ireland

Lancashire BMD has following birth entry

1880 Bridget NOLAN  mmn   FEENEY   Burnley   Preston

Looks as if Bridget Nolan is now known by the christian name Mary  :-\

1891 c Thomas & Mary Nolan plus children Bridget, John, Eliza & Ann
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QRHQ-PMM

from Lancashire BMD birth entries Burnley Preston mmn FEENEY

1882 John, 1884 Eliza, 1889 Margaret, 1891 Ann, 1893 Thomas, 1896 James,

1901 Thomas & Mary Nolan plus children Bridget, John, Eliza, Ann, James & Willie
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X9G6-QR9

from Lancashire BMD birth entry Burnley
1900 Willie NOLAN mmn FEENEY   

These appear to be their death entries

Mary Nolan Age at Death:   67
Mar 1926 Burnley Lancashire Volume:   8e Page:   265

Thomas Nolan Age at Death:   78
Jun 1936 Burnley Lancashire Volume:   8e Page:   228

and their burial details from Lancashire OPC

Grave: A18370   Burnley Cemetery, Burnley, Lancs.
Interments:
   Name           Age           Abode                            Source Register   Date buried
1   Mary Nolan   67yrs   42 Harling Street      Book 12 #95579   20 Feb 1926
2   Thomas Nolan   78yrs   Municipal Hospital      Book 14 #108083   20 Jun 1936
3   John Nolan   76yrs   Bath St                      Book 16 #130592   13 Aug 1958

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk