Author Topic: Where is High Church?  (Read 12652 times)

Offline Mamsoth

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Where is High Church?
« on: Wednesday 26 April 17 16:42 BST (UK) »
I'm just looking at a record entry on Scotlands people, the district name is given as "High Church", I can't seem to find where that is, can anyone help?

Online sonofthom

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Where is High Church?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 16:54 BST (UK) »
This probably refers to the Edinburgh parish of that name, but there would usually be sufficient other information on the record, or the header, to confirm this.
Sinclair: Lanarkshire & Antrim; McDougall: Bute; Ramsay: Invernesshire; Thomson & Robertson: Perthshire; Brown: Argyll; Scott: Ayrshire: Duff: Fife.

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 17:00 BST (UK) »
Or perhaps the former Registration District  of that name in Glasgow.

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline Mamsoth

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 17:03 BST (UK) »
This probably refers to the Edinburgh parish of that name, but there would usually be sufficient other information on the record, or the header, to confirm this.

Hi Sonofthom, alas there is no further info on the header and I was hoping to find out a location before purchasing the record as...well...they aren't cheap  ;D

Thanks for the suggestion

***Hi Imber, I was hoping it was in Glasgow, the person in the record dies in 1865. I think I will just have to purchase the record to find out for sure***

Offline Mamsoth

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 17:09 BST (UK) »
Just bit the bullet and it turns out...it was Glasgow  :P

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 18:18 BST (UK) »
'High Church' was a registration district (not a parish quoad sacra) in Glasgow between 1855 and 1874. There was no such parish or registration district in Edinburgh.

St Giles Cathedral in Edinburgh (which is not, strictly speaking, a cathedral because it is not the seat of a bishop) if often referred to as the High Kirk of Edinburgh, but the name does not extend to the parish. The registration districts in Edinburgh between 1855 and 1874 included
Canongate 1859-1938
Colinton 1855-1932
Corstorphine 1855-1932
Cramond 1855-1932
Duddingston 1855-1896
Holyrood and Canongate 1855-1858
Liberton 1855-1920
Portobello 1855-1938
St Andrew 1859-1971
St George 1859-1919
St Giles 1855-1971

and, at the risk of drawing down upon myself the wrath of people in Leith who know that it was a separate place from Edinburgh,
Leith North 1855-1935
Leith South 1855-1935
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 21:27 BST (UK) »
The reference number on the record possibly would have helped identify the locality before you paid to view the record.

The registration district forms part of the record reference number and you can look up those numbers here:

https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/research/guides/statutory-registers/registration-districts

Nell

All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mamsoth

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 21:32 BST (UK) »
The reference number on the record possibly would have helped identify the locality before you paid to view the record.

The registration district forms part of the record reference number and you can look up those numbers here:

https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/research/guides/statutory-registers/registration-districts

Nell

Thanks Nell, I never realised that. Really good to know

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 23:17 BST (UK) »
Just bit the bullet and it turns out...it was Glasgow  :P

The easiest way to have found out (after you saw High Church) would be not to use the 'all areas' option & use Lanark (includes Glasgow) which would have brought High Church up i.e. you would know it wasn't Edinburgh or anywhere else.

In your case of not being sure, if there are place names which feature in 2 different areas it will have those areas in brackets to differentiate.

Hope that makes sense?

Annie

Added, Just read Nell's equally good advice which I'd forgotten about probably because I haven't had to use it yet  :P
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"