Author Topic: The Lattices, Sandy Lane, Addington, West Malling  (Read 1759 times)

Offline shaun

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
The Lattices, Sandy Lane, Addington, West Malling
« on: Wednesday 26 April 17 17:17 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I was wondering if anybody could help me out with any information about this property in Addington. It was an old family home which my Paternal Grandmother Mary Ellen Gardiner (formerly Colyer) grew up in. And I believe a couple of generations of Colyer's may have lived there before that.

I have some memories of going here as a child and remember being in love with the style of the house. Therefore was wondering if somebody could help me maybe identify the style/design/date of the property etc. I know very little about it. I think maybe it was renovated since my grandmother died by new people who bought it.

thankyou

Shaun

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: The Lattices, Sandy Lane, Addington, West Malling
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 18:56 BST (UK) »
I cannot give you details but it does appear on the 1939 register.  It was not occupied by the Colyer family at this time.   ;)

Was Mary E bn in 1924 married in 1950  :-\

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shaun

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 19:04 BST (UK) »
Hi rosie

Yes those dates are both correct. Hmm that is interesting. I knew that my Grandmother wasn't born there, as she was born in Ryarsh. But my dad always told me that her family owned The Lattices for years before she moved there. It was also the house where my dad was born.

thanks for finding that out, I will have to quiz him about it.

ADDED

Do you possibly have the names of who did occupy it at this time?

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 22:09 BST (UK) »
I have tried a free search for your grandmother in 1939 Addington with no result, she does appear as living in Rymarsh though.  Sorry but we are not allowed to give details from the 1939 register.

Where did your grandfathers family live  :-\

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 22:32 BST (UK) »
You can try free search here  http://search.findmypast.co.uk/search-world-Records/1939-register
Select address option

Offline shaun

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 27 April 17 00:29 BST (UK) »
My grandfathers family have always been living in Kent around Weat Malling, Ryarsh, Ditton etc. Up until 1843 which was the first Gardiner who was born in Scotland. He was my Great Great Grandfather and was the first Gardiner to move from Scotland to Kent. And we have been in Kent ever since.

Apologies for asking. And I am in no way prying for information. But I am just interested in finding out why you are not allowed to share information from the 1939 register?

Thankyou

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 27 April 17 00:37 BST (UK) »
It's up for sale for £500,000
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 27 April 17 00:41 BST (UK) »
The house does look highly renovated, and at first glance it looks as though it could have been built in the 1980s with mock timbers added for decoration. I'll have a closer look though as some of the windows look older.

Can you work out approximately the year that your first known family lived in this house?

Added: there are restrictions on providing information from the 1911 census and the 1939 register. It's related to terms and conditons on the pay sites I think. (Presumably they want you to pay for a subscription rather than asking people who already have one to help you with look ups.)
Maybe some help can be given via private message?  :-\

Offline shaun

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 27 April 17 00:41 BST (UK) »
I Know Treetotal. Haa crazy right? I wish it was still in my Family. I love the idea of a family home passed down in generations and i feel like this one has just escaped my grasp