Author Topic: Welsh village life in 1895-1905  (Read 896 times)

Offline Mike Morrell (NL)

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Netherlands
    • View Profile
Welsh village life in 1895-1905
« on: Wednesday 26 April 17 17:25 BST (UK) »
Some time ago I came across a personal, first-hand description of Welsh village (social) life as a child and teenager in 1895-1905. The story is centered on Waunarlwydd (the village I was brought up in) and the Swansea area but is perhaps typical of Welsh village life at that time. The author, Lizzie Holborrow, writes with warmth and humour and I enjoyed reading her story. I posted more details in the Wales/Glamorganshire forum: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=770348.msg6229887#msg6229887

Mike
Photo restorers may re-use and improve on my posted versions. Acknowledgement appreciated.

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
Re: Welsh village life in 1895-1905
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 23:23 BST (UK) »
My father was born nearly a generation later in Oystermouth, in 1905.  I remember him saying that he also joined the Band of Hope for a while, and bowled his hoop down the lane.  His mother would have been a close contemporary of Lizzie Holborow (that isn't a very Welsh name though  8) ).  The period she describes was the Welsh Revival, when eager religion suddenly swept through the South Welsh valleys, and later the north Welsh quarries, subsiding with WW1.  It expressed itself in the Gymanfa Ganu, which was still popular in the 1960s, as recorded on LP more than once in the Albert Hall in London.
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Welsh village life in 1895-1905
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 April 17 00:01 BST (UK) »
I picked up a dog-eared copy of "Kilvert`s Diary" , a very interesting account, mostly in a Welsh parish but some in Wiltshire of the daily life of the Rev.Kilvert.
I remember a charming custom, when he visited a parishioner ,but they were not at home he did what was customary---he put  an  ivy leaf   in the keyhole.
 I believe there was a T.V series but I was living abroad at the time.I`d have enjoyed it I feel sure,
 so too the book you have  recommended.    Viktoria.