Author Topic: Jane Wynne Evans b. 1822 (ish) of Cefn Cymmera, Llanbedr  (Read 2665 times)

Offline Nigel Porter

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jane Wynne Evans b. 1822 (ish) of Cefn Cymmera, Llanbedr
« on: Wednesday 26 April 17 21:31 BST (UK) »
My GG Grandfather was Humphrey Wynne Evans b. 1794 Llanbedr and he married Lowry Evans on 13th May 1814 in Llanfinhaaugel y Traethu.  I am fairly certain they had 4 children (Evan Wynne b.1815, Francis b. 1817, Ellin Wynne b. 1819 and Sarah Wynne b. 1822), but I have recently discovered that they also had a daughter Jane, who also appears to be born in 1822.  Obviously I suspect Jane and Sarah are the same person, but not sure?  I have the marriage certificate for Jane and Richard Richards in Llanbedr on 26 February 1841, showing Humphrey as the father and Cefn Cymmera as their address, so I'm fairly certain it's the same family.   I've checked baptisms on Findmypast, Ancestry etc, but can't find either Jane or Sarah, so before I go to Dolgellau to check the records can any help?

Jane and Richard emigrated to America almost straight away, certainly pre the 1841 census and they were very successful in Racine, Wisconsin.  The Wynne family of Cefn Cymmera have been researched elsewhere, but I would welcome any info on them too?

Thanks
Porter - Heckington/Boston - Lincs
Asher - Lincs
Otter - Lincs
Wright - Heckington
Giddings - Tydd St Mary
Williams - Merionethshire/Anglesey
Rose - East London
Stevens - East London
Grimwood - East London

Offline nestagj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Wynne Evans b. 1822 (ish) of Cefn Cymmera, Llanbedr
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 April 17 11:48 BST (UK) »
Have you checked the non-conformist baptisms ? I found many relatives from the Harlech, Llanbedr area.  There was a strong non conformist influence in that area during those years; if you know the area I'm sure you will have noticed all the little tiny chapels scattered around there.
Nesta

Offline Huwcyn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 April 17 20:06 BST (UK) »
Strangely enough, I know of another Humphrey Evans of much the same age and from the same area who actually went to live in Racine with a daughter. I had to check that it wasn't the same - sadly it wasn't. Am I right in saying that Richard Richards was well known as an animal breeder ? . Quite a few references to him in 'Y Drych' , but none give direct info about either him or his wife.
    There also existed various religious magazines in the USA, whose obituaries have been indexed in publications by the Gwynedd FHS, there being a volume each for Anglesey, Caernarfonshire and Merionethshire born Americans - the great and (mostly) good, by and large.
   If Richard and Jane Richards were prominent chapel-goers, it might well be that there would obits for them. I purchased the Caernarfonshire one a few years ago, and have found it tremendously useful in following my own leads, and helping out Americans with Welsh connections. Its only useful in retrospect, of course.

Owen , Parry , Pritchard, Foulkes  o Llanddeiniolen
Jones, Bellis o Sir Fflint
Williams o Beaumaris
Chambers o Dulyn
Rowlands o Tywyn

Offline Nigel Porter

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 May 17 21:21 BST (UK) »
Hello Huwcyn,

Yes Richard Richards was an animal breeder according to his obituary and impressively he won a prize for his wool in Paris!  After Jane died in 1883 he married Elizabeth Laura Williams on 23rd September 1885 in Racine and she was Jane's niece, daughter of Jane's sister Ellin and my GG Grandfather George Williams. Richard only survived until 1897 and she moved back to Wales briefly and married Llewelyn Powell Davis in Dolgelley on 23rd July 1889.  They returned to America where Llewelyn ran a pharmacy in Denver. 
Asher - Lincs
Otter - Lincs
Wright - Heckington
Giddings - Tydd St Mary
Rose - East London
Stevens - East London
Grimwood - East London

Offline Huwcyn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 May 17 22:03 BST (UK) »
Coincidentally, the American magazines I referred to are now fully on-line, at the NLW website, so you don't really need the index if you can narrow the search down. Here's the link :

https://cylchgronau.llyfrgell.cymru/home

Owen , Parry , Pritchard, Foulkes  o Llanddeiniolen
Jones, Bellis o Sir Fflint
Williams o Beaumaris
Chambers o Dulyn
Rowlands o Tywyn

Offline Nigel Porter

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 October 17 21:40 BST (UK) »
Hello Huwcyn,  Many thanks for your help and apologies for not thanking you at the time.
Asher - Lincs
Otter - Lincs
Wright - Heckington
Giddings - Tydd St Mary
Rose - East London
Stevens - East London
Grimwood - East London