Author Topic: Margaret Evans Cilcarw/Waunfawr (1829-1910) connection to grandson Silas Davies?  (Read 2904 times)

Online Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
this is my best suggestion for 1861 - but don;t think it gets us any further

Cwmmawr fach, Llanarthney

William E Morgans    30
Isabela Morgans    18
William Williams    50
Mary Davies    21 - servant, b Llanelly

RG9, 4134, 74, 4

Who are listed as witnesses to the marriage?

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Evans Cilcarw/Waunfawr (1829-1910) connection to grandson Silas Davies?
« Reply #10 on: Friday 28 April 17 20:26 BST (UK) »

William E Morgans    30
Isabela Morgans    18
William Williams    50

RG9, 4134, 74, 4

Thanks for looking and it does seem like a good match. Witnesses to the marriage were William Griffiths, Gwendraeth Cottage (John's brother in law) and Thomas Evans, Tantypridd (or could possibly be Pantypridd), relationship unknown.

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Evans Cilcarw/Waunfawr (1829-1910) connection to grandson Silas Davies?
« Reply #11 on: Friday 28 April 17 20:33 BST (UK) »

William E Morgans    30
Isabela Morgans    18
William Williams    50

RG9, 4134, 74, 4

Thanks for looking and it does seem like a good match. Witnesses to the marriage were William Griffiths, Gwendraeth Cottage (John's brother in law) and Thomas Evans, Tantypridd (or could possibly be Pantypridd), relationship unknown.

Just spotted John Davies with his parents David and Anne Davies on the same census page at Tynywain, so I think this is very likely match. Good spot!

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 28 April 17 20:52 BST (UK) »
Also just spotted that Cwmmawr is the first farm on the next census page, so it all fits nicely. The only thing that is slightly off is that "family history" has her born 1838, whereas this census entry has her born 1840. The marriage entry does not help as it just says full age. However, on balance I think this is her in 1861.

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 29 April 17 07:15 BST (UK) »
Think I have solved it!

Should have thought of this before! When considering Silas's grandparents I never gave any consideration to his wife's ancestry. I knew Silas married an Elizabeth Griffiths and from census records that she was born about 1876, but had no details on her ancestry. Looked through my records for any Elizabeth Griffiths born 1876 and Voila!

Margaret Evans's (died 1910 as Margaret Rees) daughter Margaret Evans married Joseph Griffiths and they had a daughter Elizabeth Griffiths born 1876! Therefore, this must be the same Elizabeth Griffiths that married Silas. Therefore, Silas wasn't her grandson but his wife was her granddaughter and Silas her "grandson in law" but could easily have been affectionately considered as Margaret's grandson.

If anyone disagrees with this reasoning please let me know