Author Topic: The Mann Family- Traders in Belfast from Scotland  (Read 3726 times)

Offline Bbubbles

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Mann Family- Traders in Belfast from Scotland
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 16:33 BST (UK) »
That should read death certificate stated!

Offline Bbubbles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 16:59 BST (UK) »
Sorry Brian, Joseph Megannety died in 1929 aged 59 and Kate who was 57 , remarried in 1938.

Offline Bbubbles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 08 October 17 17:05 BST (UK) »
My great grandmother was Mary Archer married to Joseph mann. My grandparents were Joseph Megannety and Catherine Mann. My father was one of their children, Eric. I would like to know about Joseph Mann's birth and backgrt. He was born in Glasgow i believe.

Offline Bbubbles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 03 May 18 19:09 BST (UK) »
My great grandmother was Mary Archer, mother of Kate (Catherine) who married Joseph Megannety. Mary has Glasgow as her place of birth in 1901  census.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 03 May 18 21:12 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately the original poster didn't acknowledge all the information found here and hasn't been online for almost a year.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Treegrower

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 20 January 21 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi all - I am a great grandchild of Mary Mann (1854-1948) and 2nd great grandchild of Joseph Mann (1825-1898). I had very little information on the Mann side so this thread has been a fascinating discovery and thanks to everyone who has contributed to it.

From what I can deduce Mary Mann was left a very young widow when Thomas Murtagh died in 1900, aged 35, leaving her with 4 children under the age of 5. The eldest of these was my grandfather Gerald Murtagh. If anyone has any insight into what happened to Mary Murtagh (nee Mann) after Thomas's death I would be really grateful to know.

It might be of interest to people on this thread to know also that through ancestry.com and a DNA profile I have been connected to a side of the Mann family in the USA that began when Herbert Mann(b1896) emigrated to Detroit found work in the auto industry. He married Eileen Christie (b. Belfast). They had three children (Joseph b1925, Nora b1926, Patrick b1931).

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 20 January 21 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat  :) There are online resources which will fill in some of Mary's life after her husband died.

Thomas Murtagh's death-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1900/05747/4623052.pdf

Irish News & Belfast Morning News, 26 Nov.1900: MURTAGH—At his residence, 59 Great Victoria Street, Belfast, Thomas Murtagh, son the late George Murtagh, formerly of Royal Avenue.

Mary's household in 1901-
census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/St__George_s_Ward_Belfast/Great_Victoria_Street/955804/

1911- Mary & children living at 1 Paulett Ave.- form filled out incorrectly so we know she's 6 children in total but 2 had died before 1911-
census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Down/Pottinger__part_of_/Paulett_Avenue/222713/

If this is the same Mary then it looks like son Harold became a doctor-
Murtagh Mary of 213 Mountpottinger Road Belfast widow died 24 May 1948 Probate Belfast 23 December to Harold Murtagh medical doctor. Effects £1451 7s.

Northern Whig, 19 Feb.1935: ... linked Belfast and Bradford families took place at the Catholic Church, Sowerby Bridge (Yorks), the bridegroom being Dr. Harold Murtagh, Ryburn House, ... son of the late Mr. Thomas Murtagh and Mrs. Murtagh, Belfast, and the bride Miss A. Frances ...

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 20 January 21 22:28 GMT (UK) »
1910/1912- Murtagh, Mary, The Manse, Paulett Avenue

You can check other directories here (as well as PRONI's website)-
https://www.lennonwylie.co.uk

Offline Treegrower

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 22 January 21 13:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks @aghadowey for your welcome and all those great links. That's a huge help to me. I'm struggling to work searches and generally find my way around archives and census records. You must be an expert!

I'm puzzled by your statement "1911- Mary & children living at 1 Paulett Ave.- form filled out incorrectly so we know she's 6 children in total but 2 had died before 1911" as I read the 1901 census as showing that whilst there were 6 other people in her household only 4 were children - one was an adult cousin and one was a servant. Am I missing/misunderstanding something?

Also I can confirm that she did have a son called Harold who was indeed a doctor (GP). He moved to England and died there having married and had children.