Author Topic: New Moat - Walton Bridge  (Read 1193 times)

Offline bolttail

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
New Moat - Walton Bridge
« on: Thursday 27 April 17 07:55 BST (UK) »
From the New Moat parish register. "Griffith the Son of John Howel of Walton-bridge blacksmith was buried the twelfth day of February One thousand seven hundred and ninety five."  I have examined 19th century OS maps but cannot find a 'Walton-bridge'. No joy on Google.

Can anyone help?  The location was not necessarily within the parish of New Moat.

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
Re: New Moat - Walton Bridge
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 April 17 11:51 BST (UK) »
Hi bolttail
google books (top of page 754) has it described geographically - not sure if you can make anything from it?
Here is the link, then search inside 'Walton bridge' other wise it takes ages for all the pages to load
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=SyZJAAAAMAAJ
Mar
Surname Interests
Massey, Munkley, Powell, Thompson, Thurkettle

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bolttail

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: New Moat - Walton Bridge
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 April 17 14:07 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Mar. I'm impressed that you managed to find that. The river that the Western Cleddau 'receiveth' below Haverford Bridge is presumably the Cartlett Brook. I have followed this brook back on a 19th century OS map and have ended up at a point just north west of Walton East which is about 2.7 miles in a straight line from New Moat. So it looks like this is the right place. Unfortunately there is no sign on the map of 'Walton Bridge'. No sign of a bridge either. The name surely implies the existence of one? I think I must be looking for a place that at the beginning of the 19th century was called Walton Bridge but had ceased to be so called by the end of the century.

Is there anyone out there who can come up with a knowledgeable suggestion?