Author Topic: Parish registers in Scotland  (Read 1251 times)

Offline lisat

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Parish registers in Scotland
« on: Thursday 27 April 17 12:11 BST (UK) »
Hi, can anyone explain the meaning of an entry I have for a 1796 marriage in the Stow Parish Register, which states " William Pringle and Margaret Scott were irregularly married at Edin. ( presumably Edinburgh) 10th (I think) July 1796 were afterwards rebuked before the  ?? ( session?) fined and this marriage confirmed. "
Does this mean they married elsewhere first, perhaps not in a Church of Scotland?
If so, would this indicate perhaps that one of them was born in Edinburgh, or can I not really assume anything from this.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Lisa
Thackwell, Weinberg, Pointon, Pringle, Staniforth, Dennis, Fitzgerald, Lilley,Bush, Ramus, Weber, Coatup-Liddiard, Hart, Collins

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Parish registers in Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 April 17 12:52 BST (UK) »
rebuked before the  ?? ( session?) fined and this marriage confirmed. "
This would be the Kirk Session, rebuked because the marriage was not 'regular' so the Kirk would imply they were 'fornicating' as not 'married'. It may have been a 'handfast' ceremony in Edinburgh but my  understanding is that this happened more in rural areas.

There's some info here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marriage_in_Scotland#Irregular_and_common-law_marriages
but I am sure a Scottish tradition/legal expert will be along soon...
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline lisat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 April 17 12:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks Josey. That's interesting. I've not come across this before.
Thackwell, Weinberg, Pointon, Pringle, Staniforth, Dennis, Fitzgerald, Lilley,Bush, Ramus, Weber, Coatup-Liddiard, Hart, Collins

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 April 17 14:09 BST (UK) »
A couple had to appear before a Kirk Session if they conceived a child out of wedlock. I don't hink they could attend church until an appearance had been made & reparations made.

Some interesting entries here
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01k06/
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 April 17 15:34 BST (UK) »
Or for some reason married in a non-conformist church (Episcopalian?).

Skoosh.

Offline lisat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 27 April 17 16:06 BST (UK) »
I tried checking 'other' churches on Scotlands People but had no luck. But I guess that's a possibility.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 27 April 17 18:56 BST (UK) »
More likely that they got married by declaration before witnesses. The Kirk (for obvious reasons) disapproved of such marriages, but they were perfectly valid in the eyes of the Law. If, however, the couple wished to be members of the Kirk, and have their children baptised, they would be scolded and made to pay a fine for contracting an irregular marriage. before being 'restored to Church privileges'.

I have one like this in my tree: "Decr 30th 1775. This day by appointment John Waddle came before the Sess and presented Lines of Marriage with Jean Cuthil dated at Edinr August the 3d 1775 Upon which the Sess appointed him and her to Compear before the Congregation Sabbath first and although she was not to Compear they would take him under discipline for the same. [New Monkland Kirk Session minutes, National Archives of Scotland CH2/685/3/143]"

This is not the same as being summoned to be scolded and fined and do penance for fornication, though quite a few married couples did get this treatment if found to have indulged in ante-nuptial fornication, even if they had been married in the manner approved by the Kirk.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline lisat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 27 April 17 20:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks Forfarian, that's very helpful.

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 29 April 17 15:49 BST (UK) »
Hi, can anyone explain the meaning of an entry I have for a 1796 marriage in the Stow Parish Register, which states " William Pringle and Margaret Scott were irregularly married at Edin. ( presumably Edinburgh) 10th (I think) July 1796 were afterwards rebuked before the  ?? ( session?) fined and this marriage confirmed. "
Does this mean they married elsewhere first, perhaps not in a Church of Scotland?
If so, would this indicate perhaps that one of them was born in Edinburgh, or can I not really assume anything from this.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Lisa

Presbyterian marriages did not take place in the church building, more often in the home of the bride or the manse.