Author Topic: Confused about data on family tree sites.  (Read 5982 times)

Offline Gilli-Anne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Confused about data on family tree sites.
« Reply #27 on: Monday 07 May 18 23:14 BST (UK) »
https://www.ancestry.com/boards/localities.britisles.ireland.ant.general/17217.2.1/mb.ashx

This link should be proof that I did NOT get my information about William Owens from someone else’s family tree.

I am also told that there is a will for this William Owens at the Public Record Office for Northern Ireland, but not online, so I need to contact them.

Gillian

Offline Gilli-Anne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 08 May 18 09:34 BST (UK) »
https://www.ancestry.com/boards/localities.britisles.ireland.ant.general/17217.2/mb.ashx

That other link showed up the wrong post - this one should take you to the correct post.

Gillian

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 08 May 18 12:15 BST (UK) »
You have to be cautious about such claims in obituaries. I know of a man supposed to have died aged about 100 years and his obituary said be built the local church, etc. He was a joiner so that sounds likely until working out the dates from baptism record, marriage (age helpfully given), Family Bible, etc. it becomes clear that he was 3 years old when the church was built (and not yet living in the area) ::)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Gilli-Anne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 13:42 BST (UK) »
Somewhere I have a hand written note about William Owens. I don’t know who the writer was, but it indicated that he had died at the age of 103 and that he was buried in his back garden. I also don’t know the source of the writer’s information.

I have also been informed that there is a will at PRONI which corresponds to this William Owens, as it is dated 7 September 1839 and granted 28 February 1840. Unfortunately I have not been able to find any records of his birth.

Gillian