Author Topic: Rynhart/Cowman (Kilcormick/Castledockrell)  (Read 4026 times)

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Rynhart/Cowman (Kilcormick/Castledockrell)
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 27 April 17 15:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks Wexflyer - the challenge of name variants!!

Yes indeed. Other identities to note in Wexford include

Cosker (etc) = Cosgrave/Cosgrove

Aidan = Mogue = Moses

BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 27 April 17 15:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks Wexflyer - the challenge of name variants!!

Yes indeed. Other identities to note in Wexford include

Cosker (etc) = Cosgrave/Cosgrove

Aidan = Mogue = Moses

These are also in reference works, and again I have personally observed these identities in the records.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline laochrione

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 27 April 17 20:26 BST (UK) »
Wow, this is amazing guys. While I had some of this, I did not have Michael Cowman, so I'm thrilled to finally add him to the tree. Thanks for all your help finding him.
Rickard (Ballivor, Kildalkey, Killaconnigan, Co. Meath; Kilsallaghan, Shallon, St. Margarets, Co. Dub)
Mullally (Dunboyne, Co. Meath; Chapelmidway, Kilsallaghan, St. Margarets, Co. Dub)
Farrell/Smyth (Kildalkey, Co. Meath)
Dunne/McNally (Coolquay, Finglas, Kilsallaghan, Swords, Co. Dub)
Kavanagh, Brien, Connolly, Reddy (Bunclody/Newtownbarry, Co. Wx)
Alcock, Balance (Minmore/Bornamonia, Co. Ww Clonegal, Co. Wx)
Balfe (Abbeydown, Co. Wx)
Cowman, Rynhart, Connolly (Bunclody/Newtownbarry, Co. Wx)

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 28 April 17 11:16 BST (UK) »
Margaret COWMAN died May 11 1920 aged 32 LINK
Michael COWMAN died Dec 04 1923 aged 45 LINK

They had at least one more child
Ellen Jan 18 1915 LINK

I also think that their daughter Anne COWMAN married James KEARNEY in 1936 LINK

One of the witnesses is named MORRIS

An Ellen COWMAN married a Thomas COWMAN
LINK for basis of supposition
Anne COWMAN was born in Charlotte Street on Aug 27 1905 rather than her home address of Ardee Street
In 1901 Thomas and Ellen MORRIS lived at McGee's Court (off Charlotte Street) LINK
and in 1911 LINK They state that they are 50 years married which implies c1861
On both census returns they were shown as born in Wexford
Ellen MORRIS nee COWMAN could be John COWMAN's sister

Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline laochrione

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 28 April 17 14:55 BST (UK) »
Margaret COWMAN died May 11 1920 aged 32 LINK
Michael COWMAN died Dec 04 1923 aged 45 LINK

They had at least one more child
Ellen Jan 18 1915 LINK

I also think that their daughter Anne COWMAN married James KEARNEY in 1936 LINK

One of the witnesses is named MORRIS

An Ellen COWMAN married a Thomas COWMAN
LINK for basis of supposition
Anne COWMAN was born in Charlotte Street on Aug 27 1905 rather than her home address of Ardee Street
In 1901 Thomas and Ellen MORRIS lived at McGee's Court (off Charlotte Street) LINK
and in 1911 LINK They state that they are 50 years married which implies c1861
On both census returns they were shown as born in Wexford
Ellen MORRIS nee COWMAN could be John COWMAN's sister

Thank you so much for this myluck! I do believe that Ellen Cowman is John Cowman's sister. After I went through the baptism links you posted yesterday I went through the rest of the records for The Ballagh. There I found a Michael Norris, born in 1863, son of Thomas Norris and Ellen (ní Cowman). Now I know they must have been related as this new information you posted seems to clarify the connection between the two families. The N/M difference of the name might also explain why I haven't found more Norris' - I should look for Morris too!!
I will certainly dive into this family further now that I have a location for them.
Thank you again, you've been a wonderful help!!
Rickard (Ballivor, Kildalkey, Killaconnigan, Co. Meath; Kilsallaghan, Shallon, St. Margarets, Co. Dub)
Mullally (Dunboyne, Co. Meath; Chapelmidway, Kilsallaghan, St. Margarets, Co. Dub)

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 28 April 17 15:18 BST (UK) »
This may not affect you given your time periods, but in looking at the Oulart parish registers (what NLI call the "Ballagh")  you should be aware that the first register listed (the one from 1837-1853) was a personal register of an individual priest, which he brought with him from one location to the next. The NLI seem to be ignorant of this, but if you look at the register it clearly starts with the priest stationed in Ballindaggin - not Oulart parish at all. His move to Oulart, to the curacy of Ballaghkeene is clearly marked some pages into the register. I don't think this latter portion of the book covers the entire parish, but probably just his curacy. This parish is one of quite a few where the NLI did not film all the surviving register material - there is more locally.

Offline laochrione

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 28 April 17 17:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this Wexflyer. As Anne and John were later documented in Castledockrell, it is entirely possible that they were always there as Ballindaggin is right beside it.

I have never approached the parishes to see any of the local registers. To be honest I'm a bit wary of stepping on toes. A distant cousin of mine got a few very negative reactions when she was doing her line. Do you know how receptive they are in that area?

Thanks again for all your help!

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 28 April 17 18:24 BST (UK) »
As for how family history researchers are viewed, I think it is variable, and there are some good reasons for why some priests/parishes may be less than keen to help.
In the first place, both my father and I have seen mutilated parish registers, with missing pages which were very clearly cut out, by memento seeking visiting "researchers". Another point is that interest in family history research has exploded, and dealing with requests could become a distraction from their primary mission (the cure of souls, as it used to be put).
That said, others are into history themselves, and delighted to help. For example, 20 years ago the then parish priest of Oulart was the editor of a local history journal, and extremely helpful. All depends on the person, and we made some effort to talk to the priests involved.  I think being local helped a lot. Finally, as my experiences with personal visits were almost 20 years ago, I can't really comment on the situation today.

Offline laochrione

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 29 April 17 13:53 BST (UK) »
To be perfectly honest, I don't think I'd be too impressed with history buffs constantly descending on me to access records. I have one particular parish that I will approach but that's only because the record books there are literally heaving with my family so I'd like to see them. For the sake of one or two records, I don't see the point of putting people to all the trouble of rooting out, what are after all, very delicate pieces of history.

I have to say though, I'm very impressed with this forum, the help given by people like yourselves is immeasurable. I've only been on a few days and I'm overwhelmed with how helpful people are. I hadn't expected to find John Cowman's sister, never mind her entire line, but the few links I got here has opened up the entire family. So thank you all for all your help, it really is appreciated.