Author Topic: Maclean or 'Clean family of Riccall and North Yorkshire  (Read 625 times)

Offline Yorkyboyl

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Maclean or 'Clean family of Riccall and North Yorkshire
« on: Thursday 27 April 17 14:49 BST (UK) »
My ancestors seem to come from the North Riding of Yorkshire, particularly the area around Malton, things not made any easier by the fact that some of the records show the surname as 'Clean 'and not Maclean until the mid 1800's. The oldest record I can find is William Clean, christened 1/1/1770 in Hovingham, shown as the son of Thomas Clean, shoemaker of Ness.
 I have been unable to trace any other family, or even Thomas's wife, in the area at all, but I have come across Thomas Clean, son of William, christened 8/8/1736 Riccall,which is not particularly close to Hovingham, but not entirely unreasonable. He was a shoemaker, and married a Tamsin ? Lister 2/3/1767 in Riccall, and later died 6/8/1810.
  Does anyone  know if it is possible to make (or disprove ) a connection between these people....did shoemakers travel around in their trade ?, did they have a tradesmen's register ?,would there be any records anywhere of tradespeople ?.  Does anyone out there have any connection to or information regarding this family
  It's a bit of a long shot but Live in hope, thanks