Author Topic: BROADHURST 1940 Ladywood air raid deaths - cemetery help please  (Read 2793 times)

Offline alveleyhistorian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
BROADHURST 1940 Ladywood air raid deaths - cemetery help please
« on: Thursday 27 April 17 16:38 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
Broadhurst family -
Just wondering if anyone can help with two look-up from Ladywood Cemetery..or other cemetery's in that area.
Two of my husbands ancestors died following bombing raids in November 1940..we would be interested to find out where they were laid to rest..many thanks

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: BROADHURST 1940 Ladywood air raid deaths - cemetery help please
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 April 17 23:06 BST (UK) »
There are entries for both on www.cwgc.org which say Birmingham County Brough but it's not clear if that is the cemetary or the memorial to them
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 April 17 09:14 BST (UK) »
There are entries for both on www.cwgc.org which say Birmingham County Brough but it's not clear if that is the cemetary or the memorial to them

All it means is that Birmingham CB was the local authority that recorded the death and supplied the name to IWGC, now CWGC. No other information is held.

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 April 17 14:31 BST (UK) »
They are both mentioned by The Birmingham Air Raid Remembrance Association on the Roll of Honour which is displayed at the de Birmingham Chapel in the Church of St Martin-in-the Bull Ring. Perhaps if you contacted the Association they could help you locate the burials. There is a possibility they were buried in a mass grave, which happened often during WW2.

Offline emmaleaver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 August 17 15:24 BST (UK) »
Hello There

My name is Emma and i have stumbled a cross this while chatting with my husbands nan.  Her Name is Rita (maiden name) Broadhurst, her mum was Florence Broadhurst and her Auntie was Nesta Broadhurst.

You are correct in saying there air raid shelter was bombed. Rita and her brother John William Broadhurst were the only survivors as far as she knows. John recently passed away.

Rita was only 5 ish at the time so has limited memory but if there is anything she may be able to help with let us know.  Also if you have any more information i know that Rita would love to hear about it.

Many Thanks

Offline alveleyhistorian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 August 17 17:32 BST (UK) »
Hello There

My name is Emma and i have stumbled a cross this while chatting with my husbands nan.  Her Name is Rita (maiden name) Broadhurst, her mum was Florence Broadhurst and her Auntie was Nesta Broadhurst.

You are correct in saying there air raid shelter was bombed. Rita and her brother John William Broadhurst were the only survivors as far as she knows. John recently passed away.

Rita was only 5 ish at the time so has limited memory but if there is anything she may be able to help with let us know.  Also if you have any more information i know that Rita would love to hear about it.

Many Thanks

wow, this is marvellous. thank you for getting in touch !
my name is margaret  - my husband marc sheridan, is the distant relative.
I have been researching his family tree.
my family also came from birmingham, so i knew a little of the history of the air raids.
I would be happy to share what I have discovered so far.
Have you any idea where Arthur Lewis Broadhurst and his sister-in-law Florence are buried ?
I have been unable to find that so far .
There is a very nice memorial by St Martin's church in honour of those who died..have you seen it ?
Look forward to hearing from you

Best wishes..Margaret

Offline emmaleaver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 30 August 17 12:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Margaret

Thank you so much for the copy of the paper clippings. Rita loved seeing them.

Rita said that her mother Florence and Arthur are buried at Yardley Green Cemetery.  There isn't  individual graves but there is a plaque on the wall. We are now actually planning on taking Rita to Birmingham next month. Rita moved to Essex many years ago.

After speaking to Rita she told me how her Grandmother Nesta had 12 children. you may already know this from your research.

here is a list of the names just incase

William (Rita's Father who married Florence)
Albert
Frances (Frankie)
Arthur
Edward (Ted)
Lily
Nesta
Gertude
Joan
Beatrice
Nellie
Jean

You mentioned St Martin's,  is this in Birmingham??

Rita is interested to know how your husband Marc is related.

Due to her mothers passing Rita doesn't have much information regarding the family it only really been through word of mouth. As i belive later down the line she parted ways with her father.

Any information you have would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Emma

Offline emmaleaver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 30 August 17 14:15 BST (UK) »
Another thing i was meaning to ask is do you know the D.O.B of Florence Broadhurst and also William Broadhurst.  Rita was never told the D.0.B of her mother or father. At now nearly 82 herself i would loved to be able to find this out for her.

She knows her father died in January 1988 in Chatham in Kent.

emma  :)

Offline alveleyhistorian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 30 August 17 14:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Margaret

Thank you so much for the copy of the paper clippings. Rita loved seeing them.

Rita said that her mother Florence and Arthur are buried at Yardley Green Cemetery.  There isn't  individual graves but there is a plaque on the wall. We are now actually planning on taking Rita to Birmingham next month. Rita moved to Essex many years ago.

After speaking to Rita she told me how her Grandmother Nesta had 12 children. you may already know this from your research.

here is a list of the names just incase

William (Rita's Father who married Florence)
Albert
Frances (Frankie)
Arthur
Edward (Ted)
Lily
Nesta
Gertude
Joan
Beatrice
Nellie
Jean

You mentioned St Martin's,  is this in Birmingham??

Rita is interested to know how your husband Marc is related.

Due to her mothers passing Rita doesn't have much information regarding the family it only really been through word of mouth. As i belive later down the line she parted ways with her father.

Any information you have would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Emma

yes, st martins is a church in the bull ring in birmingham, ...opposite the church is a memorial to all those killed in the air raids.. a real 'must' to visit..it has all the names listed on it..
the memorial is called 'the tree of life'
if you do go, please take some photo's etc ...
i will copy the family tree i have done and send it onto you
best wishes,
Margaret