Author Topic: World War ll Diaries - KOYLI  (Read 1722 times)

Offline MaryThorn

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
World War ll Diaries - KOYLI
« on: Thursday 27 April 17 21:34 BST (UK) »
Last year I posted on this board hoping to find some information as to how my grandfather was injured during World War ll.

At the time of posting I thought my grandfather had been injured as part of the D Day operations, however I have subsequently been given some of his service records and I now know he was injured in the September of 44 not during D Day.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of any online accessible diaries regarding the Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry and operations they were involved in September 1944.

A family member has since told me my grandfather was injured near Le Harve and through a search online I found the regiment involved in Operation Astorian. I also have a memo (sent to my grandmother) to inform her my grandfather had been injured "on or about" 3rd September, which doesn't quite fit with the battle at Le Harve.

Can anyone point me in the direction of any history regarding this regiment at this part in the war?

Many thanks.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: World War ll Diaries - KOYLI
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 April 17 22:10 BST (UK) »
Could you confirm he served with 1/4th Battalion which as far as I know was the only KOYLI battalion that served in North West Europe in 1944.  There are two diaries, one covering 1944 and then Jan-Nov 1945, on this link at Kew http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_aq=Kings%20own%20yorkshire%20light%20infantry%20europe&_or1=diaries&_dss=range&_ro=any&_p=1925&_st=adv

They are not on line unfortunately.

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline MaryThorn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 April 17 23:38 BST (UK) »
I think it was the 1/4th he served with.  His service record card only states KOYLI, however it also states NW Europe from 1944 until his injury.

Do you know if you can request printed diaries from Kew or can they only be seen there?

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 April 17 23:47 BST (UK) »
The National Archives offer a copy service - but it would cost a considerable sum to get them to copy an entire war diary.  It would probably be cheaper to get a researcher to go in and photograph it for you.

However, you could get them to copy of a bit of the diary covering say, Aug/Sep 44 at a not too unreasonable price.
Latest project - www.westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.
Member of Newbury District Field Club - www.ndfc.org.uk

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 28 April 17 06:21 BST (UK) »
Mary

I have sent you a PM following up Newburychap's thought.

maxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 28 April 17 06:28 BST (UK) »
I would recommend asking (deleted - see PM) to copy WO 171/1324 from Jun 1944 until Oct 1944.  His service costs 20p a sheet (Kew charge £8.30 to estimate then £1.10 a sheet), they also are not as flexible.  His minimum charge is £5 which I am sure would cover those few months.

That said, the diary is very unlikely to mention your grandfather by name but it will show what was going on at the time.

If I can help further, don't hesitate to ask.

Max

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline Drew5233

• RootsChat Veteran
  • How Many Hours in Spits?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 30 April 17 00:45 BST (UK) »
Contact this chap on Facebook - He only charges 10p per page to photograph original documents at the National Archives.

https://www.facebook.com/British-Army-War-Diary-Copying-Service-209324246138228/