Author Topic: Charles Daly  (Read 6594 times)

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Daly
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 29 April 17 12:38 BST (UK) »
Sorry, should read Probate of Charles Daly 16.4.1903 not George I think the heat is getting to me it be so cold now its going warmer.

Harriet was Charles wife.

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 29 April 17 12:50 BST (UK) »
after his wife died He and his son Nimrod went from capetown to Durban to Madagascal then to Marselles via the suez canal then a train to Paris then to London also Dublin then to see his birth place one sister still alive aged 83, spent 6weeks in ireland then returned to south africa.

Offline Hanlon Chiddy

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 02 July 17 05:18 BST (UK) »
My Great Grandfather was the Charles Daly born Gort, County Galway, Ireland in 1832 on I believe 17Th March. He swam ashore from the Birkenhead wreck as discussed and finally died from an Ox kick to the head aged 71 on 16 April 1903.

He married Harriet Janet Roesch born 21Nov 1842 in Bloemfontein on 28Sep 1865.
His eldest son was Martin George Daly born 9/7/1866 in Bloemfontein.
His youngest son Nimrod Jerome Daly (my Grandfather) was born in Bloemhof on 11/7/1881 and died about 1929. He married Eugenie Thomson in Kimberly on 16/3/1907

My mother Quilimane Daly was his third of ten children. She was born in Mafeking on 14 seep 1911 and  died in Cape Town on 11/ Oct 1974.
I was named with the very Irish first name of my uncle (Hanlon) who died aged about 21years old of a ruptured appendix. He had been schooled at St Andrews.

Family history also confirmed Verbally that Charles' father Did indeed work as Bailiff to the Earl.

Quilimane was named after the then town, now city, in Northern Mozambique which allegedly was "the most beautiful place Charles had seen since leaving Ireland".

"Mane"as she was known married my father Leslie L.J. Chiddy in 1939 in ? Bloemfontein. They were both from Mafeking area, and I have visited the farm " Logageng" as a youngster. they settled in Cape Town.

I now live in Sydney , Australia.
p.s.
are we related ??

Offline flickw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 03 July 17 02:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Hanlon,
I replied at length to your posting(in a private message), but cannot find my reply anywhere!! (technically a tad challenged) . If you didn't get it, please get back to me and I shall send you another reply. You and my husband are definitely related!!
Regards
Flick

Offline flickw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 14:03 GMT (UK) »
This is certainly a slowly-slowly-catchy-monkey hobby!! I am still on the Irish trail of Charles Daly.(South Africa)  I may have made a breakthrough- those in the know will inform me, I'm sure.
We know that his father, Martin 'worked as a bailiff' for Lord Clanricarde. I have found a Tithes Applotment entry for a Martin Daly in 1856. His landlord is Lord Clanricarde and he lives in Rosmore, Parish Ballynakill, Barony of Leitrim. He is Church of Ireland (Charles was married from The Anglican church in South Africa) and listed under the Diocese of Clonfert and Kilmacduagh. Charles' DC says that he was born in Gort. Am I clutching at straws here?? All advice welcome.

Offline Greg0220

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 04 January 19 04:24 GMT (UK) »
A Martin George Daly married a Rachel Yates in Dublin around 1820  He died in 1848. She remarried a Thomas Woods shortly thereafter. They can be found in the 1851 census on Preston Lancashire along with perhaps younger siblings of your Charles.
Lynch-Cork/Ontario
Considine-Ireland/Ontario
Daly-Galway/New Brunswick
Kelly-Galway/New Brunswick
MacDonald-Moidart/Nova Scotia
Thomson-Ireland/Gaspe Que
Thompson-Moidart/Nova Scotia
Kane-Ireland/New Brunswick
McNish-Scotland/Ontario
McCulloch-Keppoch/Ontario
MacDonell-Glengarry/Ontario
Fitzgerald-Limerick/Ontario

Offline flickw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 04 January 19 07:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Greg0220! A most interesting possibility - especially since one of Charles' sons was named Martin George.  I had not considered that the rest of the family may have emigrated to England - had assumed they hated the English, since Charles refused to fight with them against the Boers.
Could you tell me where I might find the Dublin marriage of MG and Rachel? I found the 1851 census on Ancestry.com.
rgds
Flick

Offline Greg0220

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 04 January 19 08:40 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I had looked at this couple's records earlier this week and was going by memory. They were married in Dublin in 1833. He died in 1848 intestate. She remarried to Thomas Woods in 1850. These are listed in the Dublin indexes on Ancestry. There are a few ancestry trees that don't list Charles. The other children appear to have emmigrated to NZ/AUS.

The Earle's of Clanricharde were the Burke family(deBurgh). A very long history with the Daly's. Their primary residence was Portumna Castle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portumna_Castle

It ceased being a residence in 1828, which may explain why Martin George ended up in Dublin. I would guess you descend from the Raford or Dunsandle Daly's.
Lynch-Cork/Ontario
Considine-Ireland/Ontario
Daly-Galway/New Brunswick
Kelly-Galway/New Brunswick
MacDonald-Moidart/Nova Scotia
Thomson-Ireland/Gaspe Que
Thompson-Moidart/Nova Scotia
Kane-Ireland/New Brunswick
McNish-Scotland/Ontario
McCulloch-Keppoch/Ontario
MacDonell-Glengarry/Ontario
Fitzgerald-Limerick/Ontario

Offline flickw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 04 January 19 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again. Have put all the info in my Ancestry shoebox - not enough corroborating evidence -yet!
This man (Charles Daly) is no brickwall - he's a jolly concrete moat!! So much written about him in South Africa - like most folks whose records were burnt in 'the fire'- there is no definitive evidence of his life in Ireland or even in Gort. where he was born!.
Rgds
Flick