Author Topic: Luke WESTROP  (Read 566 times)

Offline Eupham

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Luke WESTROP
« on: Friday 28 April 17 10:19 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I'm trying to find the baptism & parents of Luke WESTROP. He married Martha JONES on 26 Jan 1804 at Saint Andrews, Enfield, London. I have them having 7 children in the area between 1804 and 1820.

Any help finding Luke WESTROP's baptism and parents would be greatly appreciated.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Luke WESTROP
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 April 17 10:22 BST (UK) »
There is this baptism:

Castle Hedingham, Essex

29 April 1781

Luke Westrop, son of William & Judith.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Eupham

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 April 17 22:58 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I'm not sure if I need to re-post this message on the Essex Board but I used the lead given to me by avm228 for my Luke WESTROP.

I now have the marrage of his parents - William WESTROP m. Judith TUCK on 21 May 1780 at North Walsham, Norfolk.

William & Judith had 5 children (that I know of) in the Castle-Hedingham area between 1781 and 1792. Luke b.1781, John b.1782, Judith b. 1786, Ruth b.1788 & Mary b.1792.

I now have the issue of which William Westrop is the father of my Luke. I have 2 possabilities that were baptised in Castle-Hedingham that would by the right age. I was hoping that the names of the children of William & Judith might steer my in the right direction but no such luck.

The 2 possabilities for my William are -
1. William WESTROP c.29 Jun 1755 in Castle-Hedingham to James WESTROP & Martha
2. William WESTROP c.6 Jun 1756 in Castle-Hedingham to Robert WESTROP & Mary

If anyone is able to advise my as to which William WESTROP is the father of my Luke WESTROP it would be greatly appreciated.

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 29 April 17 03:13 BST (UK) »
Looks like William and Judith had 3 more children...

Mary, 6 Apr 1794, St Nicholas, Castle Hedingham.

Elizabeth, 8 May 1796. St Nicholas, Castle Hedingham.

Jane, 15 Apr 1798. St Nicholas, Castle Hedingham.

Mary born 1792 died 1793 and was buried 9 Jun 1793, St Nicholas, Castle Hedingham.

Judith burial, 27 May 1837, St Nicholas, Castle Hedingham.

Offline snowball

• RootsChat Senior
  • Got to keep going...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 29 April 17 09:48 BST (UK) »
Hi - there's a death for a William Westrop in 1756 in C Hedingham - no age given on the transcript on Findmypast (free this weekend). The original entry may say "infant", or similar, in which case you are not much further on, but may say who his parents are if he's a child.

I'd take advantage (if you don't subscribe) of the fact that Essex BMDs and the Essex Will Beneficiaries Index are free this weekend on FindMyPast: http://search.findmypast.co.uk/search-world-Records/essex-wills-beneficiaries-index-1505-1916. A few Westrops are beneficiaries and testators. I'd also widen it to similar names: eg "Westhorpe" seems to be the same extended family.

I'd gather a list of wills that might help you unravel the family connections and then go to the Essex Record Office site and consider researching them http://seax.essexcc.gov.uk/

All the best
Rob