Author Topic: Reid/Reaich Family  (Read 3221 times)

Offline Gregyboy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Reid/Reaich Family
« on: Friday 28 April 17 11:39 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'm trying to find more information on a family that emigrated from Buckie, Scotland to Winnipeg in the 1910s.

William Alexander Reid was born on 5th June 1889 at Buckie to William Reid and Ann Farquhar.

His wife, Maggie Reaich, was born on 1st January 1889 at Buckie to William Reaich and Jane Murray. William and Maggie (or Margaret) were married at Buckie on 25th July 1915, although Maggie had been out to Canada beforehand. Maggie's two siblings, Isabella and James, both emigrated.

I have searched the available databases offering BMD records for the Manitoba region and have an Ancestry subscription all to no avail when trying to trace when they died. I have been able to find them in the 1916 and 1921 census of Canada, where they have two children, M (b.1915) and W (b.1917). They were living in Winnipeg at the time.

If anyone would be able to offer any assistance it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Reid/Reaich Family
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 April 17 13:12 BST (UK) »
If his middle name was Alexander and he had a sister Jean then his obit is in the Winnipeg Free Press on 10 May 1974.  Can't view without subscription, maybe RunKitty will have a look for you.

Online RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 April 17 14:31 BST (UK) »
Hi,

It says William Alexander Reid died on May 8 1974 at the Fred Douglas Lodge.  He was 85.  Husband of Margaret Reid, late of 1275 Burrows Ave, formerly of 688 Kylemore Ave.  He was born in Scotland and came to Canada in 1914.  He worked for Winnipeg Transit for 45 years.  He is survived by his wife, his son W of Winnipeg, his daughter Mrs Margaret Bowlby of Winnipeg, 4 grandchildren, brother Jim and sister Jean of Scotland.  Nephew W Gall of Winnipeg.  Interment Chapel Lawn Memorial Gardens, Winnipeg.   One Bowlby and 2 Reids are listed among the pallbearers.

RK

Online RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 April 17 14:33 BST (UK) »

Online RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 28 April 17 14:41 BST (UK) »
Obituary for Margaret Bowman Reid in the Winnipeg Free Press, Oct 8 1977. 

She died on Oct 7 1977 at the Fred Douglas Lodge. She was 88.  Previous addresses same as in the obituary for William Alexander Reid.  Interment Chapel Lawn Memorial Gardens.  Survived by son W T, daughter Mrs H Bowlby, 6 grandchildren and 4 great grandchildren, numerous nieces and nephews.  She was a member of Riverview United Church. 

RK

Online RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 28 April 17 14:55 BST (UK) »
Howard J Bowlby died at the Charleswood Centre, Winnipeg, on April 28 1999, aged 86.

RK

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 28 April 17 15:22 BST (UK) »
Small piece in the The Winnipeg Tribune - 28 July 1936 - if you scroll down and go thru the OCR text - remainder pay per view.

Mr. and Mrs. W. A. Reid announce the engagement of their only daughter, Margaret to Mr. Howard Bowlby, second son of Mr. and Mrs. E. A. Bowlby of Imperial, Sask. The wedding will take place In August..............

https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/37265854/

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 28 April 17 15:24 BST (UK) »
Howard J Bowlby died at the Charleswood Centre, Winnipeg, on April 28 1999, aged 86.

RK

Obituary listed Daily Times Obituary Index.

BOWLBY, Howard J; 86 years -  Winnipeg Manitoba -  Winnipeg F-P; 1999-5-1; nostalgic

http://obits.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/obit.cgi?Surname=BOWLBY%2C%20Howard%20J&type=Keyword

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Gregyboy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 28 April 17 23:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you to everyone who has helped me. I'm skimming through the index of the Winnipeg Free Press so I'm able to pick up little bits of extra information thanks to your guidance. I'm not all that familiar with Canadian resources so if there are any other newspaper archives like the Winnipeg Press that I can search through then I'd appreciate it very much if anyone were able to provide me with the links.

Greg