Author Topic: Tattoo Identification  (Read 546 times)

Offline GJJW_1988

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tattoo Identification
« on: Friday 28 April 17 15:18 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone! I hope I am posting this in the right place...sorry if I'm not!

The people of Rootschat have been massively helpful in the past and so I was wondering if you could help me out again!

I have recently found a war record for my great great grandfather and on the page which details his conscription information there is a section that asks if the new solider has distinguishing marks and it states that he had two tattoo dots on his left hand between his forefinger and thumb. Despite all attempt to find information about it...I can't! I have found countless articles about 3 dots, 5 dots etc. but nothing about 2. I am aware that it's probable it's linked in some way to prison or a borstal but I cannot find anything. As far as I am aware he was English but there has always been a strong rumour in our family that he was in fact Irish and I am 99% certain that his parents were Irish so I don't know whether, if it was prison/borstal, it was an Irish prison/borstal. I have tried to find information pertaining to a possible criminal record but so far nothing! The only one I found was for 1909 but he would have been 11! He was born in 1898. Any information you could give would be massively helpful. His name was Francis Murphy born 1898 and he lived in Manchester. G

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tattoo Identification
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 April 17 15:26 BST (UK) »
No idea whether it could relate to your man but this https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-meanings-of-prison-tattoos refers to two dot tattoos.

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 April 17 15:59 BST (UK) »
If there was any meaning behind your gggrandfather's hand tattoo, I am wondering if that meaning could have changed over the years? Or, as you say, it may mean different things in different regions.
I notice there are a lot of tattoos related to the drug trade which would not have existed in the past. Maybe it is possible that meanings come and go related to fashions, or perhaps some had no meanings.
Added: if the meaning is per Max's link you would think he would simply have added another dot to try to change the meaning ....  :-\

Offline GJJW_1988

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 April 17 16:09 BST (UK) »
Hmm, I most sincerely hope that the tattoo doesn't mean that! Whilst, of course, one can't be absolutely sure, from what I know about him, and other rumours surrounding him, I don't think it is the meaning from the website. Simply, as I say, because of the things I already know about him! Thanks though for everyone's help! And to those who may help more in the future.