Author Topic: My Great Grandfather's Military Service  (Read 3059 times)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: My Great Grandfather's Military Service
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 29 April 17 20:02 BST (UK) »
Bill

(Difficult to let go!)

Little bit of info that may/may not be relevant.

In 1890, the 4th (Royal Irish) Dragoon Guards were stationed at the Curragh. 

At the end of May 1891 the regiment moved from the Curragh to Aldershot.

So there is a movement that could make sense of the Curragh/Dragoons/Aldershot connection and the dates??

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Bill Smyth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 29 April 17 20:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you maxD that is excellent piece of information. I must follow that up
Bill

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 30 April 17 02:00 BST (UK) »
Something else to consider - I have found a George Edwards whose parents were named John and Martha, he was born in Cheshire, father originally Agricultural Labourer but in 1881 he is a gamekeepers assistant!  Both John and Martha's deaths recorded in Dec.qtr.1889 Whitchurch, Shropshire.   (They lived in Marbury, Cheshire which came under the registration district of nearby Whitchurch, Shropshire).

However, this George is shown bc.1863 on 1871/1881 census BUT in 1881 he is a groom!!!   He then 'vanishes' in English records.   I wonder when George met and married Mary Burke he knocked a few years off his age as he was some 7/8 years older than her.

At this point, things seem to fit.   However, neither George or any of his siblings appear to have had their births registered, cannot trace baptisms either but if mother Martha was a Martha Curran sounds like her family were from an Irish background and probably Catholic which could explain why we cannot find any baptisms.   Neither can I find a definite marriage for a John and Martha (Curran or otherwise) marrying ca.1849 without knowing Martha's maiden name from childrens births which appear to be unregistered.   I don't know how one goes about finding Catholic baptisms for Cheshire as I understand they are quite detailed.

From 1851 through to 1881 John and Martha are living in Marbury, Cheshire - their respective ages/birthplaces suggest they were born ca.1825/6 in Malpas/Marbury and that all their children were born in Marbury - Sarah bc.1850, Elizabeth bc.1852, Eliza bc.1859, George bc.1863, Emily bc.1865, John bc.1869 and Alice E. bc.1872.  None of the births were registered.

In 1881 George Edwards is working as a groom in Newhall, Cheshire but can find no trace of a George Edwards bc.1863 Marbury in census after then which is when 'your' George Edwards bc.1867 appears.   Same person???

By 1891 your George was in Ireland, 1901 in Scotland where he died 3 years later.

In 1901 the brother of George Edwards bc.1863 Marbury i.e. John bc.1869 is married and living in Marbury - occupation Under Gamekeeper (following in fathers footsteps).

The parents - John and Martha - both have their deaths registered in Dec.qtr.1889 Whitchurch.

So frustrating not to be able to establish Martha's maiden name as childrens births not registered.  If, however, they were indeed Catholics (or maybe just Martha was) if the children were baptised in a Catholic church their records are usually very detailed.

In conclusion with a John and Martha, links to gamekeeping, son George a groom who vanishes from English census after 1881 when 'your George first pops up you can see why I think this family looks a strong contender albeit 4 years older than your man says he was.   I think it quite likely as Mary was so much younger than him that he knocked off a few years.

I'll leave it with you anyway.

Annette   

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bill Smyth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 30 April 17 02:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Annette,
You have certainly given me food for thought. Thank you. I'll study all of this tomorrow
Good Night and thank you again
Bill

Offline Bill Smyth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 04 May 17 17:30 BST (UK) »
Hi MaxD, Annette and Gortonboy
MaxD could you please post the link you used to trace the travels of the 4th Dragoons in 1890/91? I have a likely candidate, as my GF, from Holmfirth (Huddersfield) in Yorkshire who joined the 4th Dragoons in Newbridge in 1888, aged 23yrs 9 months, no. 3349, he is attested as a clerk but this could be his first introduction to horses. I know from internet info that the 4th were at Newbridge in 1890. Is this otherwise known as "The Curragh" I wonder? . I also have an excellent description of the establishment of the Newbridge Barracks from Kildare Council.
I know from my grandmother's marriage certificate (1913) that my grandfather was a soldier so it is not anecdotal. I know need to look at my candidates army career until he left around 1901 to close the loop. Any links anyone?
Bill

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 04 May 17 17:40 BST (UK) »
Quick first question - do you have a sub for Findmypast?  If not send me your direct email by PM.

The Curragh camp is/was just outside the town of Newbridge in Co Kildare.

maxD

Details of the service of the Holmfirth man passed on direct.
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia