Author Topic: My Great Grandfather's Military Service  (Read 3057 times)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: My Great Grandfather's Military Service
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 29 April 17 09:41 BST (UK) »
If the facts given regarding his previous occupation and posting to Aldershot are correct, then I venture to suggest that he is not the Durham 6th Dragoons man.

That record shows that the man joined at Brighton in Aug 92, and was in hospital in Brighton in Dec 92.  The 6th Dragoons were stationed in Brighton throughout that period (Army stations lists 92 to 93).  His previous employment is given as labourer rather than horse trainer.

While these facts alone don't prove anything one way or another, given the doubt about the regiment and the place of birth given initially, I would be looking for someone else.

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Bill Smyth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 29 April 17 11:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all.
 Gortonboy you are correct in the abstract of the 1901 census you have posted. The children listed on the census (including my Grandmother Margaret) seem to have been registered as being born in Farnham next door to Aldershot. My next move is to check Parish records.
 All - In the entry of George Edwards' death in 1904 in Glasgow his parents are noted as John Edwards and Martha Edwards nee Curran. No other records I've seen show both of these names unless John Edwards married twice. NB George Edwards died at age 37.
 BTW Gortonboy Mary Burke lists her birthplace as Newport, Isle of Wight in the census of 1911!!! and thank you for your link to Martha.
Again many thanks for your sterling efforts.
Bill

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 29 April 17 13:40 BST (UK) »
Two questions:

1. Do you have a copy of George and Mary's marriage certificate - said to have been married 1st June 1890 Suncroft, Kildare (civil registration shows this in Apr-Jun qtr. 1890 Naas)?   If so, does this confirm the details which Mary gave when George died?   (If not, I think you need to get it to see what information was given then).

2. Are you certain he was in the army (Dragoons) or is this just what someone has suggested?   Perhaps you have the birth certificates perhaps of one of the children born at Farnham?

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bill Smyth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 29 April 17 16:15 BST (UK) »
maxD and Annette7,
You are both right of course. It is likely that a) Durham man is not my Great Grandfather and b) He may have been a civilian working with the army in his capacity as a horse trainer. His being a soldier is anecdotal within the family until I can prove one way or the other.
In the light your advice Annette7 I have asked for a copy of my grandmothers birth certificate which should be definitive. Regarding the marriage between George Edwards (Curragh Racecourse) and Mary Burke in 1890. I do not have the certificate but I'm confident that the entry in the register ("Union of Naas, County Kildare") is accurate and the birth of their daughter Martha in 1891 similarly accurate.
Many Thanks,
Bill

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 29 April 17 16:23 BST (UK) »
Good luck with your further searches!

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Bill Smyth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 29 April 17 16:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you maxD for your help.
Bill Smyth

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 29 April 17 17:45 BST (UK) »
maxD and Annette7,
I do not have the certificate but I'm confident that the entry in the register ("Union of Naas, County Kildare") is accurate and the birth of their daughter Martha in 1891 similarly accurate.

Does this mean you have all the details that are on the certificate i.e. confirmation of fathers names, occupations, etc. already?   I don't fully understand what you mean.   Yes, we know where/when the marriage is registered and that supposedly was on 1/6/1890 - no reason to doubt that but do need to know all the information stated when they married.

If you do have all this information already, can you tell us everything stated when they married?

Annette
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 29 April 17 17:59 BST (UK) »
Have just found details of the marriage myself - learning curve for me as didn't know it was possible to view a copy of the certificate just from the civil registration details on Irish Genealogy.

From that I see that George listed as Trainer, son of John Edwards, Farmer and that Mary Burke was dau. of Pk. Burke, Farmer.  Neither parent shown as deceased at that time.

Already we have a difference, in that John Edwards shown as a gamekeeper when George died but when he married shown as a farmer.

Please post details of Margaret's birth certificate once received.   Will be interesting to see if any link to army is made.

Annette

London -  Monk

Offline Bill Smyth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 29 April 17 18:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you Annette - I too am anxious to see the validity of the military link.
Bill