Author Topic: Thomas Gilda  (Read 2111 times)

Offline jamesjg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Gilda
« on: Friday 28 April 17 16:29 BST (UK) »
I am trying to trace the death of my 2xg grandfather Thomas Gilda who was born about 1843 in Ballyshannon, Ireland.  He married Margaret Martin in Cathcart in 1867 and is shown as living there on the 1871, 1881 and 1891 Censuses of Scotland.  He is on the 1901 Scotland Census living with his wife Sarah at 134 Naburn Street, Glasgow.  I can find no trace of him or his wife on the 1911 Censuses.  Given his age in 1901 (58) it is possible that he died between 1901 and 1911, but there is no record of the death on the Scotlands People web site.  Could he have died without the death being registered?  Is there anywhere that has a record of burials in the Glasgow area?

Grateful for any thoughts.

Jim Gilda
Lancashire - Bilsborough
Scotland and Ireland - Carswell, Duffie, Gilda, Gildea, Gilday, Megraw, Nevin, Williamson
Cumbria - Priestman

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Gilda
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 April 17 16:53 BST (UK) »
Have you checked the marriage for Thomas Gilda to Sarah

The only ones I can see on Scotland's People for a Thomas Gilda 1912 Calton Glasgow   Sarah Keith or Miskimmin ?

This one probably his son's marriage
Rosie

Offline jamesjg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 April 17 18:24 BST (UK) »
Hi!

The marriage to Sarah Keith (previously married to John Miskimmin) is that of his son also named Thomas.  Thomas was shown as deceased on the marriage certificate.  I realise that this might have been incorrectly recorded but have been unable to prove it!  I have a second marriage for Thomas (senior) to Elizabeth Brown in 1884.  But I can't prove whether she is the same person as a "Sarah Gilda" as shown on the 1901 Census.
Thomas' family were previously shown as "Gildea" on some documentation and I have also looked for variants of this as options for death and census.
Lancashire - Bilsborough
Scotland and Ireland - Carswell, Duffie, Gilda, Gildea, Gilday, Megraw, Nevin, Williamson
Cumbria - Priestman

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 April 17 21:13 BST (UK) »
1905 Valuation Roll

GILDA
THOMAS
Tenant Occupier
HOUSE NO 24 YOUNG STREET
GLASGOW

Offline amberdog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 28 April 17 21:22 BST (UK) »
There was a 25 year old Thomas Gildea died in Dumbarton 1905.

Duh, too young for your Thomas, sorry.

I'm away to be trawling through the Family notices in the Glasgow Herald for 1905 & 1906.  I'll keep a look out for the name while searching.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 28 April 17 22:14 BST (UK) »
Jim, first wife Margaret Martin died in 1883? Guess you have matched Thomas' parents from that 1867 marriage and then the one you mentioned in 1884 to Elizabeth Brown?

The 1891 census, does it show Thomas as married? A wife not showing in the household is there. Would the age of Elizabeth (and birth place?) match the details you have on the 1884 marriage?

The entry you mentioned from 1901:

Thomas Gilda 54 Block Printer
Sarah Gilda 50 dress maker b. dumfriesshire, Dumfries

As for his death  ???

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 28 April 17 22:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica not seeing a death for a Elizabeth Gilda either  ???

Offline jamesjg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 29 April 17 12:10 BST (UK) »
Monica

The 1891 Census shows Thomas as married and living with his children Mary, Agnes, James, Margaret and Thomas.  However, his wife is not there!  Elizabeth Brown's age at the marriage in 1884 was 48 and Thomas' age 57; but then Thomas' age on the 1901 Census is 54!  It is possible that Thomas did marry for a third time but I haven't found a marriage to a "Sarah" only that of his son Thomas!  The occupations on the Census of Calico Printer (1881), Paper Mill Worker (1891) and Block Printer (1901) also seem to match.  Was Sarah on the 1901 Census really Elizabeth?  I haven't found a death for Sarah Gilda either!

I think the 1906 Electoral Register is Thomas junior as he was also living in Young street on the 1911 Census.

Jim
Lancashire - Bilsborough
Cumbria - Priestman

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 29 April 17 21:50 BST (UK) »
Could Thomas have died out of Scotland? Ireland entry here https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FTF4-Z4F

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk