Author Topic: Samuel Tomlinson, Old Brampton C1740  (Read 1464 times)

Offline martin mosley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Samuel Tomlinson, Old Brampton C1740
« on: Friday 28 April 17 18:43 BST (UK) »
Hi friends,

I'm looking at Samuel Tomlinson who baptised children at Old Brampton during the 1740's and 1750's.

I have the following from the PR's:

1741 Elizabeth
1744 John
1748 Samuel
1749 Anne
1751 Joseph
1754 Mary
1755 William
1758 Martha
1761 Elizabeth
1763 Alice
1764 Samuel
1766 Elizabeth
1768 Mary

I can only find one probable marriage for Samuel; To Martha Littlewood on 23 Nov 1747.. Which poses questions over the children born in 1741 and 1744. Who was their mother? And was the father, the same Samuel as the father of the later children.

Has anyone here come across these families, or do you have access to anything which might help solve the riddle?

Many thanks in advance

Mosley; Pugh; Thorpe; Webster; Hill; Ibberson; Nicholson; Moody; Maxfield; Newbold; Lee; Adams; Walker; Tesh; Barnes; Brittlebank; Cowlishaw; Smethurst; Alsibrook

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Tomlinson, Old Brampton C1740
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 April 17 23:19 BST (UK) »
I presume you have seen the actual parish registers for all these births - you can view the actual register on familysearch - you have to open a 'free' account. Very easy and it IS free! and then click on the camera icon.

I looked at a couple of them to see if there was any additional information such as a place of residence, or wife's name, but the writer of the register was a man of few words! and no such luck. I haven't looked at all of them. You should do that just to check.
Have you checked to see if there is a burial of a wife of Samuel?

I checked the Lichfield marriage allegations and bonds on findmypast. (Free this weekend!).
There is an application for a marriage 1763 of Samuel Tomlinson and Mary Sowter ) I think that's a capital S). He is of Brampton, aged 25 (? Difficult to decipher) and over, and she is of Crich aged 20 and over. Her father William gives his consent.
It' s POSSIBLE the later children you have in your list were their's.

I also checked the Lichfield wills on FindMyPast.
There is an entry for a Samuel Tomlinson of Brampton in 1747. Unfortunately it only takes you to the index book, and doesn't give you the actual will - which usually happens with this data set. I have found others to which the same thing has happened - somehow when FindMyPast filmed them, they omitted some  of them.
However, if you look on the Staffordshire Names Index, which is a list of the wills held at Lichfield, which includes Derbyshire, they do have an actual will for him.
https://www.staffsnameindexes.org.uk/default.aspx?Index=C&LastName=tomlinson&Part=0&YearFrom=1700&YearTo=1780&Place=brampton&County=0&Gender=0&Occupation=
It would be worth sending for it to Lichfield to see if any of the children/and /or a wife,  are mentioned in it. PERHAPS he was the father of the two younger children?
(Or he may even have been the father of 'your' Samuel).
There is also a will entry for Samuel Tomlinson of Brampton for 1729. This is an administration, as he must have died without leaving a will, but it may give you some other information.

Samuel Tomlinson is not a very uncommon name around that part of Derbyshire.
Good luck unravelling it all!

Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 April 17 13:16 BST (UK) »
Hi
If you look for the 1749 Will without an area it does come up.
Samuel of Wadshelfe Brampton
wife Mary
2 sons Samuel and John
3 daughters Sarah Mary and Elizabeth when 21
Made 1748

I won't put the full details  but there should be enough there to tell if it's your man.

There are two burials at Old Brompton
Samuel Tomlinson 1719- Nov 1805
Samuel Tomlinson 1728-3 rd Dec 1810

Martha Tomlinson wife of Samuel buried 2.2.1799

So there are two Samuels.

ps the Admin 1729 is mispelt  as Tolmlinson as his administrator is Samuel T.
There's also a licence for a Samuel Tomlinson of Chesterfield and Mary Cowley 28.9.1735 at Alfreton st Mary  which may be worth a look.

Ciderdrinker

Offline martin mosley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 29 April 17 14:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you both!

Yes, there were clearly two, probably three Samuel's around the same period, and maybe the Wills can help me to solve the puzzle. Already I can see that Samuel with the 1749 Will has children named John and Elizabeth. He also had a son, Samuel who may well be the father of the 'middle' group of children.. There's a lot of if's, but at least there's now something to work on, so thank you very much! It is greatly appreciated.
Mosley; Pugh; Thorpe; Webster; Hill; Ibberson; Nicholson; Moody; Maxfield; Newbold; Lee; Adams; Walker; Tesh; Barnes; Brittlebank; Cowlishaw; Smethurst; Alsibrook

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 29 April 17 14:54 BST (UK) »
Also have a look at FreeREG
EG;
A Samuel TOMLINSIN Married;
Mary FLETCHER 8 July 1733 Peak Forest : King Charles the Martyr
Mary COWLEY 28 Sept 1735 Alfreton : St Martin

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline martin mosley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 29 April 17 15:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish, long time no talk ;)

I'm looking at those as we speak.. There is a date problem with the theory above, since if Samuel Snr married about 1735, his son Samuel is unlikely to be the father of the children born from 1748. (unless of course the C1735 marriage was a second marriage for Samuel Snr, and his son Sam was the result of an earlier union)

A long way to go on this one I suspect, and not helped by the incumbent at Old Brampton at that time, who as Goldie rightly says, was a man of few words ;)

Thank you for your help!

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 30 April 17 14:17 BST (UK) »
Hi again, yes a tangled web, too many Samuels around!
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 03 May 17 11:05 BST (UK) »
Hi
There's a Sarah Thomlinson d of Sam Thomlinson baptised at Brampton 28.4.1734 so it looks like the earlier marriage in 1733 is the right one.
Sister Mary 11.4.1736,and Samuel 4.6.1738
I think the Sam Tomlinson with a Will in 1748 is quite young and as his children are all under 21 he could well be the son on the Admin of 1729 so 3 generations of Samuel Tomlinson.
Of course that still leaves the Samuel Tomlinsons born 1719 and 1728,one of which must be the one who married Martha in 1747 and had the children 1748 onwards.
Can I ask which family are you interested in,the one before 1748 or after?

Ciderdrinker