Author Topic: McCue: An Irish family in the Pontypridd area 1840-1886  (Read 1215 times)

Offline Kevin, now in Chester

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McCue: An Irish family in the Pontypridd area 1840-1886
« on: Friday 28 April 17 19:58 BST (UK) »
I am searching for baptism, church marriage and burial records for members of the McCue family who arrived in the Pontypridd area in about 1840 from Ireland, remaining until about 1886.  Some, but not all, of the events are recorded in civil registration records and I have census records from 1841-1871, which show the family living in Trawlln, Eglwysilan, Llanwonno, Llantwit Fadre, Tumble and Llantrisant (apologies if these are misspelt). 
Glamorgan Archives have found no trace of the family in "Parish records", so assume the events may have taken place in a Catholic or non-conformist places of worship.  Where might I find records for these?
The head of the family, James McCue (bc1804 Ireland) worked as a Nailer until his death in 1867.  His wife Catherine (nee Summers, bc1813 Ireland) disappears after the 1871 census.
The search is complicated by the infinite variety of spellings of McCue at this time.  So far I have traced Maccu, Macew, McCue, McGue, McHue, McHugh, McKew, McQue, Cue, Hue, Hugh or Kew.  A difficult name for a Welsh registrar or clergyman to hear and record, when spoken with a rural Irish accent.
So I would be grateful for any advice on tracing records relating to Irish families in this area in the mid-19th Century.

Kevin now in Chester
Taylor, Wright, Paul (East London) and Carter (Wickford, Orsett, Grays, Leyton, Essex), Holmes (Folkestone) and McHugh/McCue (Ireland/Pontypridd/Chester/Saltney)

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: McCue: An Irish family in the Pontypridd area 1840-1886
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 April 17 00:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Kevin are you trying to trace the families irish origins?  The Summers surname has several baptism entries in Co Wexford including some for a Catherine Summers.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 April 17 10:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you for taking time to reply.  Yes I am particularly to discover the origins of the family in Ireland. 

So I shall be delighted to receive any references to Catherine Summers in Ireland.  She was born in about 1813.  Wexford would seem a likely starting point for a family ending up in South Wales, although other family members recall mentions of Tuam, Galway or Scotland (the latter is definitely wrong!). 

I would be interested to know if the records for Wexford show any McCue/McHughs too, especially a marriage.  Husband James McCue was born in c1804, while children Mary (c1834), Patrick (c1835) and John (c1839), were also born in Ireland.  They were all in Pontypridd for the census on 6 June 1841, so left Ireland in about 1840.

Two more sons, James (c1844 Pontypridd) and Thomas (19 Sept 1847, Newbridge, Llanwonno).   were born in South Wales.  There is no trace of James' birth in civil registration records, but Thomas is duly recorded.

Thank you again

Kevin now in Chester
Taylor, Wright, Paul (East London) and Carter (Wickford, Orsett, Grays, Leyton, Essex), Holmes (Folkestone) and McHugh/McCue (Ireland/Pontypridd/Chester/Saltney)

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 29 April 17 13:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Kevin you could ask the moderator to share the topic on the Ireland Board.  Wexford isnt the only county with the name Summers there are also McHughs there.  You should bear in mind the names of the children of James & Catherine as there was a traditional Naming Pattern in Ireland & children could be named after a grandparent.  I suggest the following site www.nationalarchives.ie for Tithe Applotment & Griffith Valuation records - the Censuses of 1901 & 1911 will be too recent for your search.  If you can establish where in Ireland the family originated there are Parish Records Baptism & Marriage RC the years covered vary from Parish to Parish.  www.registers.nli.iewww.historicgraves.ie (a work in progress) for cemetery memorials.
Civil Registration began in Ireland in 1864 thus the reason for relying on Parish Registers. Good luck with your search

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 29 April 17 13:42 BST (UK) »
There`s a Catherine McCue mentioned in the papers after 1871, but is she yours ?.
Also many other references to others with that surname.  You might find some clues, but not the origins of the family.

http://newspapers.library.wales/view/3498809/3498812/50/McCue
http://newspapers.library.wales/view/3069245/3069248/13/McCue
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 29 April 17 15:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you all again for the advice and suggestions.

I shall keep searching the Welsh records over the coming weeks and then make a fresh post on the Irish board, if I can be more specific about the area from which they came.  I think my key  1886?"question remains "are there any Catholic church records for the Pontypridd area between 1840 and

I am grateful for the links to the Welsh Newspaper archive, a resource I had not used before.  The first Catherine McCue (1873 - Pontypridd) is certainly mine.  The second in Longton (Stoke on Trent?) is possibly not, although participation in a brawl would not be uncharacteristic for this branch of the family!  I shall search the Welsh archive for further misdemeanours and clues.

Thank you all again

Kevin now in Chester

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 29 April 17 15:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Kevin,

You might get advice here

http://www.pontypriddrcdeanery.org.uk/assets/images/stdyfrigs/SDRA-01.pdf

Regards
Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 29 April 17 18:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you.  I shall write to the Cardiff Catholic Archive to see if there are any surviving records for the McCues for the period 1840 - 1886.

And two very interesting articles in the Cardiff and Merthyr Guardian naming the father of Mary McCue's illegitimate child as one William/Henry Spurway - something I wasn't ever expecting to find.

Kevin in Chester