Author Topic: Harrisons of Norfolk Co.: near Chedgrave, possibly Great Plumstead and Caister  (Read 2365 times)

Offline Polly Lynn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Harrison
    • View Profile
Dear family historians and Harrisons:

Greetings.  A DNA test has led me to near-Chedgrave, Norfolk, England, U.K.  A 19th century clerk at Chedgrave seems to come from the Hargrave-Harrisons of Great Plumstead and Caister-on-Sea.  Or not.  At this point anyone related to any Norfolk Harrison family would be of interest to me.

We Harrisons are trying to find out where in England we came from.  Just beginning our search in Norfolk (and knowing a relative was from Chedgrave), I am seeking to reconcile on one hand some church brasses in a book (typos and all), Notes and Queries, a family tree sent to the LDS library, the DNA test, and on the other hand genealogical research of the descendants of my Harrison ancestor who left England in the 1600s.  In contacting me you would be helping 120 Harrisons in nine branches. 

I think that I am not allowed to leave my e-mail address here, so won't.  Thank you for replying here; I have specific questions.  I appreciate that there is a forum for us.  We are happy that our research has led us to Norfolk County.

Warmly,
Polly LYNN
Illinois, U.S.A.
Harrison

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Harrisons of Norfolk Co.: near Chedgrave, possibly Great Plumstead and Caister
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 April 17 09:18 BST (UK) »
Who was the relative from Chedgrave and maybe rootschatters can help.

Offline Polly Lynn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Harrison
    • View Profile
Re: Harrisons of Norfolk Co.: Caister or Great Plumstead
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 16:00 BST (UK) »
Dear AmonDG,

Thank you for replying and offering help with my Harrisons who may go back to the Harrisons of Caister, Norfolk County.

If you were to send me a private message, PM, with your email address, I could send you a Harrison family tree for Caister, Norfolk County, that I have just made.  It is a bit of a mess as it combines different sources, some of them church records (good) and some 19th century chat (not good).  It is based on a family tree sent to the LDS church lib ray in Utah, U.S., researched in the 1880s using church baptismal and marriage records. 

I am interested in someone born about the 1620s, name not known, but likely John Harrison who was born in Norfolk County and died in Ireland.  All of "John's" descendants for a while were--not surprisingly--farmers.  In Ireland in the 1700s and 1800s they had about 30 to 40 acres and rented. In Ireland only one son inherited and the other children "traveled," meaning them emigrated.  There are over 84 farms, not only in Ulster, but also in Canada, the U.S. (New York and Virginia), and (Mangapai) New Zealand.  All but two were cattle farms or dairy farms.  (Each also had hens and pigs for the family at least.)  Two other farmers grew cranberries and had a fox hunt.  In the South of the U.S. they were not farms but large plantations.  In contrast to other Harrison families, from whom we have had to distinguish ourselves in studying our tree, our Harrisons were literate, partly owing to the fact they were Presbyterian (starting in Ireland about 1685-1703).  In England we could have been anything, but probably Protestant in the 1500s and 1600s, as all descendants are.

If ever I exchanged photos with a Harrison male of this family (mine), I would know instantly whether or not he was a relative by looking at his forehead.  Though baldness is handed down through the mother, that hairline is undoubtedly a male trait as even our 8th and 11th cousins named Harrison have it. 

Again thank you for your help in finding anyone who has ever studied this Harrison family tree.  We are more interested--in this stage--in confirming where we are from and which big family we are from than in names and dates.  We are simply seeking contact with the Harrison family of Caister or Great Plumstead, the one studied in the 1880s by a Hargrave-Harrison who looked at church records (including looking at Chedgrave, where a Harrison was a church clerk).  Is no one currently researching the Caister Harrisons of Norfolk County?  Has the family died out there?  Thank you for your attention to our family.

Polly LYNN
Harrison

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Harrisons of Norfolk Co.: near Chedgrave, possibly Great Plumstead and Caister
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 May 17 06:15 BST (UK) »
The Norfolk Record Office, Martineau Lane Norwich has is its index
Pedigree of Harrison's of Norfolk Ref: BOL 4/107,742x3

you can email and make sure its not a copy of the LDS one you already have.

Offline Polly Lynn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Harrison
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 May 17 20:13 BST (UK) »
Terrific.  Thank you, AmoNDG.
Harrison

Offline Polly Lynn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Harrison
    • View Profile
baptismal questions about Harrisons Great Plumstead, Great Yarmouth, and Caister
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 May 17 10:46 BST (UK) »
I finally have a question.  I am so excited to ask it I can't sleep.  :)

In baptismal records throughout Norfolk, but especially among the Harrisons of Great Plumstead, Great Yarmouth, and Caister, I am seeking these two babies, Isaiah and John, the uncle of Isaiah. 

1. Isaiah Harrison, said to have been born 1666.
The 1666 comes from an erroneous assumption that we can ignore.
I think the latest he could have been born was 1667.  The earliest was late 1650s, all of the 1660s. 
At the regular age, so about age 14?, he was apprenticed to a blacksmith and became a very skilled one.  (That he was highly skilled may be an exaggeration by enthusiastic descendants.)
In about 1687 he went to America, specifically Oyster Bay, now Nassau County, Long Island, New York colony.
His eldest known son was--unfortunately for discovering his father--Isaiah Harrison [Jr.].  Other sons all born in New York were John, Gideon, Thomas, Jeremiah, and Samuel.  Three of these are obviously straight from that day's church sermon: Isaiah, Gideon, and Jeremiah.  The rest are names used a lot in the families f his relatives: John, Thomas, and Samuel.  I am surprised not to see a James among them, also commonly used by his cousins.
Thus we are looking for an Isaiah born in Norfolk who was not buried in Norfolk.  His descendants were in the colony of Virginia.
Descendants in the 1700s were all manner of Protestants, even marrying a Quaker.  In the 1500s early 1600s in Norfolk they could have been Church of England, though almost no descendants were.  (Out of 3,000 descendants, about four were C. of I. or Episcopalian.)
If you google Isaiah Harrison, please ignore any suggestion he was the son of the Reverend Thomas Harrison of Chester and York and Dublin.  I have shown this to be wrong, lots of reasons wrong.  Isaiah was no born in Chester either.  He was instead from a Norfolk family.

2.  John Harrison was uncle of Isaiah (b. 1660s).  I am guessing at his first name, as there was a John Harrison in the next generation and a handful of them in the third generation.  Name could have been James, I suppose. 
John Harrison was a young adult in 1649-1650.
We are looking for a John Harrison born about 1630 (latest 1632, earliest 1620s) who was born in Norfolk. 
"Under Cromwell"--so I am thinking 1649-1650--John Harrison went to Ireland.  (I am told Cromwell sent troops to Ireland before 1649 to put down the 1640 or 1641 rebellion.)  I shall add, "never to return to England."  That is he would have been buried in Ireland, not Norfolk.  His descendants were/are in Ireland.  I don't know that he was a soldier.
DNA testing helps me show that Isaiah and John's sons were not brothers, but first or second cousins.  I have ruled out scone cousins. So Isaiah and John were nephew and uncle. 
No known apprenticeship here, though descendants 200 years later include carpenters.
The Irish Harrisons were tenant farmers with 10 to 40 acres.  It may simply be Irish history, but out of 84 farms in the family, almost all were cattle or dairy farms, some with Herefords for meat or Holsteins for milk. 
The Irish Harrisons were Presbyterian and conservative (rarely breaking off), though they could have become Presb. after England, say in 1685-1703 in Ballynahinch, County Down, Ireland.  Eventually in the 1800s some were Methodist. 

This family has distinctive hair.  The Harrison males have hair that is black and wavy OR red and wavy.  The Harrison men have a hairline that I can recognize, but find hard to describe here.  I is a lowercase n, meaning high forehead.  Not bald, with hair on (top, sort of), back and sides.  The Harrisons have twins every so often. 

THANK YOU!
Harrison

Offline Polly Lynn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Harrison
    • View Profile
Re: Harrisons born in Acle, Norfolk. Who was/were their father(s)?
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 05 July 17 03:19 BST (UK) »
The following Harrisons were born at Acle, Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, England.  Who was the father of each and your source for knowing?
1.  Daniel Harrison (born about 1826, died after 1881 census), son of ?
2.  James Harrison (born about 1835, died after 1881 census), son of ?  married Mary A.
3.  father of Emma (b. 1861) and Walter (b. 1874). 
4.  Thomas Harrison (born about 1846, died after 1881 census)
5.  father of James Beckett Harrison (born around 1849) and Ann Jane Harrison (born about 1838)
6.  father of William H. Harrison (born about 1842) and Julianna (born about 1845)
7.  Samuel Harrison (born about 1849)
8.  Walter J. Harrison (born about 1857)
9.  Robert W. Harrison (born about 1854, died ?)

THANK YOU!
Harrison

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 05 July 17 12:23 BST (UK) »
Your can easily check these yourself on FreeReg.  For instance, first one on your list was Daniel Harrison - bp.14/12/1825 Acle, son of Edmund Harrison, labourer, and wife Susan.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Haconp

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 31 July 21 07:47 BST (UK) »
Polly,

Are you still investigating the Harrison’s ?

We have found the Harrison Tombs in Caister. See this post, we have transcripts too.

P
https://www.facebook.com/pg/caisterplayingfield/posts/?ref=page_internal