Author Topic: Location of Wexford Paupers' Graveyard (Workhouse Cemetery)?  (Read 1300 times)

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Location of Wexford Paupers' Graveyard (Workhouse Cemetery)?
« on: Saturday 29 April 17 04:31 BST (UK) »
In former times I frequently walked around the Carricklawn, Stonybatter and Carcur areas, containing the former Wexford Workhouse. There was a paupers' graveyard associated with the workhouse, but I never noticed it - can anyone say exactly where it is? i.e. north south, east or west of the workhouse, or off which road...
Thanks!

BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: Location of Wexford Paupers' Graveyard (Workhouse Cemetery)?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 April 17 06:52 BST (UK) »
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Location of Wexford Paupers' Graveyard (Workhouse Cemetery)?
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 April 17 07:08 BST (UK) »
http://wexfordhub.com/history/paupers-graveyard/

Entrance off Coolcott's Lane.

Ah, so that is why I never saw it when walking in the vicinity of the old Workhouse - it isn't actually that near it at all. Thanks.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area