Author Topic: Alexander McLellan Gordon born Newmarket Street Dumfries  (Read 7864 times)

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander McLellan Gordon born Newmarket Street Dumfries
« Reply #81 on: Monday 01 May 17 16:34 BST (UK) »
Cannot quote it but if you find Elizabeth McLellan in the 1911 census it gives the number of years they were married. As said earlier her maiden name is clearly Gibson from the Groindexes.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline kall

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Monday 01 May 17 16:43 BST (UK) »
Yes can see that....don't understand why they would have got married in Taunton
Forrest - Blantyre
McLellan - Dumfriesshire
McCracken - Dumfriesshire
Harkness - Dumfriesshire
Adamson - Dumfriesshire

Offline kall

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Monday 01 May 17 16:57 BST (UK) »
I am going to hold off ordering the certificate until I hear back from a few people that I have sent messages to on Ancestry.
Forrest - Blantyre
McLellan - Dumfriesshire
Harkness - Dumfriesshire
Adamson - Dumfriesshire

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Monday 01 May 17 16:58 BST (UK) »
He was reportedly a travelling draper and Taunton is not all that far from Glamorgan.

The children's mother's maiden name is given as Gibson. I checked for marriages by consulting the latest census and found that the only match was the one that I've given.

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline kall

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Monday 01 May 17 17:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks Gadget
Forrest - Blantyre
McLellan - Dumfriesshire
Harkness - Dumfriesshire
Adamson - Dumfriesshire

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Monday 01 May 17 19:33 BST (UK) »
Just to say that there is a James McLellan in the 1871 census also living in Neath age 19 and born Dumfriesshire  and a drapers assistant.

He may be living in Wrexham in the 1881 census, married  to Elizabeth and a draper (age given as 26).

This is perhaps his marriage (Wrexham)

21 Oct.  1879 James McLellan 25 Bachelor Draper Father Alexander McLellan Brewer
to Elizabeth Jane Johnson 25 Spinster Father William Johnson Inn Keeper.

There is a baptism in Penpont 1853 for a James McLellan - parents the aforementioned Alexander McLellan and Jane Johnstone. It is worth noting that in 1871 this Alexander's occupation is given as a brewer's drayman and in 1881 brewer.

Cannot see James in 1891 and 1901 although his wife appears to be  recorded as visiting family in those years but is said to be married. Probable death for her in 1907. James possibly reappears to marry again to Lydia Thomas in Swansea in 1910 and can be sited in the 1911 census ( his signature there could be compared with that on the 1879 marriage to see if it is the same person - I am not a good enough judge!).

I simply run this up the flagpole as he could be a potential younger brother of David McLellan born 1840.

William

Ps I hope you have more luck than I have had with Acy. messages of late (having received precious few replies).

Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline kall

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Monday 01 May 17 19:42 BST (UK) »
My James wasn't born till 1884 and lived in Dumfriesshire until he died in the war. Have had one reply from someone who may be related to Davids son John....watch this space haha
Forrest - Blantyre
McLellan - Dumfriesshire
Harkness - Dumfriesshire
Adamson - Dumfriesshire