Author Topic: Marriage of James McIntyre & Christian Johnston  (Read 1669 times)

Offline flower fairy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Marriage of James McIntyre & Christian Johnston
« on: Saturday 29 April 17 15:01 BST (UK) »
James McIntyre and Christian Johnston are my 5x great grandparents. They had James my 4x grandfather in 1797 in Glasgow. James the elder was listed as a soldier in the 6th regiment of fencibles on the baptism record. I have not been able to trace a marriage for James & Christian anywhere nor able to find any other children listed.

I have found Christians baptism, she was the daughter of Archbald Johnston and Florence McDonald and was baptised in 1771, Glasgow.

Any help would be appreciated.
Nicky
Rundle, Beard, Crewes- Cornwall
Green, Tucker- Devon
Dyer, White- Somerset
Gardiner(+variants), Gibson, Watson, Patterson, Nicholson- Durham
Nicholson, Burns, Mcintyre- Northumberland
Mcintyre- Scotland

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of James McIntyre & Christian Johnston
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 April 17 17:23 BST (UK) »
The important thing to understand is that there are lots of gaps in the records. The further back you go, the more people are simply not recorded. So it is quite possible that the people you are looking for are not in the surviving records.

What you must never do is assume that because there is only one person who seems to fit the bill, it has to be the right person.

I assume that you have found a death certificate that names James McIntyre and Christian Johnston as the parents of your 4x grandfather? And can you be absolutely sure that you have the right Christian Johnston? If not, you need some more evidence to prove that they are the right parents before trying to work any further back.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline flower fairy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 April 17 17:34 BST (UK) »
   Firstly I never assume anything, I try to back up everything with facts. I was not aware that by getting James McIntyres death certificate it would show James and Christian as his parents??

I have James (4x) second marriage certificate from 1852 showing father as James McIntyre, soldier. Also the name Johnston/Johnson is given as a second name a generation down the line.

Thanks for the advise though. 
Green, Tucker- Devon
Dyer, White- Somerset
Mcintyre- Scotland

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 29 April 17 19:11 BST (UK) »
   Firstly I never assume anything, I try to back up everything with facts. I was not aware that by getting James McIntyres death certificate it would show James and Christian as his parents??
Yes, if he died in Scotland it should show the full names of both his parents, including his mother's maiden surname. Not if he died in England, Wales or Ireland, however.

I have James (4x) second marriage certificate from 1852 showing father as James McIntyre, soldier. Also the name Johnston/Johnson is given as a second name a generation down the line.
That does look like good evidence.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline flower fairy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 29 April 17 22:54 BST (UK) »
Ahh OK, this is the first line I have traced into Scotland so that's worth knowing.
 At some point though, James, (4x) moved to Gateshead where he married his 1st wife in 1822. He died in 1882 in Gateshead. I'm not sure if James senior and Christian moved there also.
Thanks again.
Green, Tucker- Devon
Dyer, White- Somerset
Mcintyre- Scotland

Offline flower fairy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 June 17 08:21 BST (UK) »
Forfarian.

You seem to know a bit about Scottish records etc so I wonder if you could answer this please. I have found a marriage record from 1752 in Inveraray for Christian Johnston as above's parents and am debating about ordering the certificate from Scotlands People. Will the certificate be any different from the parish record or will it show the exact info. Not ordered a cerificate from this era before.

Thanks in advance  :)
Green, Tucker- Devon
Dyer, White- Somerset
Mcintyre- Scotland

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 05 June 17 08:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Nicky  :)

debating about ordering the certificate from Scotlands People

Official records(certificates) did not start in Scotland until 1855.
https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/guides/statutory-registers

Do not expect too much from banns and marriages records. The amount of information recorded can be variable and most entries contain very little detail. At best you might find: date(s) of the proclamation of intended marriage and/or date of marriage, names of bride and groom and their parish of residence, sometimes the occupation of the groom and occasionally the name of the bride's father. At worst you should find the following: the names of the bride and groom recorded along with the fee paid in caution.
https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/guides/church-registers

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline flower fairy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 05 June 17 09:45 BST (UK) »
EV.

So next to the record on scotlandspeople where it says "order certificate" it really won't tell me anymore?

Will say myself the £12 then, thank you  ;D
Green, Tucker- Devon
Dyer, White- Somerset
Mcintyre- Scotland

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 05 June 17 09:55 BST (UK) »
So next to the record on scotlandspeople where it says "order certificate" it really won't tell me anymore?
Very unlikely.

For a start it isn't a certificate. Statutory civil registration did not start until 1855 - long after 1752. It will be a record from the parish register of the calling of the banns. It obviously contains the couple's names. It will probably tell you that they both resided in the parish, and if not, which parish the one lived in who didn't live in Inveraray. It might tell you where in the parish they resided. There is a small chance that it might tell you Christian's father's name, but next to no chance that it will tell you the name of her mother. It may tell you the actual date of the wedding, but is not likely to tell you that who the witnesses were.

Will say myself the £12 then, thank you
I should think so too. You can view the image online at Scotland's People for 6 credits, which is £1.50. You only need to order a certificate for births less than 100 years ago, marriages less than 75 years ago, and deaths less than 50 years ago, or if you need an official extract as evidence for some legal reason.