Author Topic: Disney family of Fosham manor, Aldbrough and Elrington connections  (Read 1443 times)

Offline goldcoast

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Disney family of Fosham manor, Aldbrough and Elrington connections
« on: Sunday 30 April 17 07:38 BST (UK) »
Hi all

Looking for any information on the Disney family of Fosham manor, Aldbrough. Fosham manor was settled on John Disney and his wife Maud in 1367 and passed to Maud Disney, the wife of John Elrington, in 1467. The property then passed to Simon Elrington who died 1501, then to Thomas Elrington and possibly another Thomas Elrington and then to Edward Elrington who sold it to William Barne/s in 1577/78.

My primary interest is in establishing the marriage of John Elrington to Maud Disney (Dysney or D'Isney) and whether or not this John is Sir John Elrington, treasurer of the household of King Edward IV who died 1483. Although there are numerous references online to Sir John Elrington's first wife being Maud Disney there are none with any reliable evidence for this marriage which produced at least five children. Sir John Elrington married secondly Margaret Etchingham and this union is well documented.

I am therefore hoping to find a connection via Disney researchers and would love to connect with anyone with any knowledge of Fosham and the Disney family.

Goldcoast
Cooley, Evenden - Kent / Hewetson - Singapore, Ireland / Elrington - worldwide  / Proctor - Scotland, Uruguay, Australia / Ogilvy - Shetland / Rome - Dumfries, Australia / Read - Dorset, Australia / Clarke - London / Heydinger - London / Durie - Kincardine / Scott - Muckart, Perth, Scotland / Wrench - Staffordshire, Australia

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Disney family of Fosham manor, Aldbrough and Elrington connections
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 May 17 23:06 BST (UK) »
Have you looked to see if anyone is researching the Disney line by looking in Your Tools/Surname Interests, below?

Offline IJDisney

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 20:26 BST (UK) »
A John Disney held land in Fosham, Yorks in 1431. He also held land in Croxton, Lincs. He was called John Disney the younger in 1422, so is likely the son/nephew of another John Disney.

This elder John Disney could have been the John Disney who held land in Fosham in 1415, and in Croxton in 1404. This John Disney was married to an Isabella.

He was probably the son or heir of the Thomas Disney who held land in Fosham in 1353 and 1367. Thomas' wife was called Maude, and she was heiress to land in Fosham and Magna Rouceby, Lincs.

Another John Disney held land in Croxton in 1303-1346. He was the brother of William Disney of Norton Disney, but the 16th Pedigrees say that he died without issue, so it is unclear where Thomas Disney might be related to him.

Offline IJDisney

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 20:56 BST (UK) »
The Feet of Fines for 1467 contain a grant of land in Croxton, wherein we are told that George Clayton had it (with others) as gift from Joan the wife of Richard Rudde, and from Maud the wife of John Elryngton, but that he now returns it to Richard and Joan Rudde. It is then to pass to the heirs of Joan's body, but failing that, to the heirs of Maud's body, and failing that, to the 'right heirs' of John Disney.

My guess is that Joan is the elder sister of Maud, both of whom are daughters of John Disney.

Offline IJDisney

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 20:59 BST (UK) »
If you search the National Archives website you can find the 1484 will of John Elryngton, Treasurer of the King's House of Shoreditch, Middlesex. You need to pay to view it, but it might contain the names of relatives and thus establish whether he is the John Elryngton who married a Disney.

Offline goldcoast

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 May 17 02:09 BST (UK) »
Hi IJDisney

Thank you for all the valuable information. Your clues and theory are very promising. I feel I am now on the right track and will investigate further, especially regarding the land at Croxton.

I did not know about Joan and wonder if a similar arrangement was in place regarding Fosham which did pass to the 'heirs of Maud's body'. Of course it could have been destined for Maud in her own right.

I have a copy of the 1484 will of Sir John Elryngton, however it does not mention Maud or any Disney relatives. After Maud's death John married Margaret Echingham the widow of William Blount. Both had young children and they had a son, Edward, together. John and Margaret were buried  at Shoreditch but I do not know where Maud was buried.

I will post any information I find here. Thank you again for your help  :)

Cooley, Evenden - Kent / Hewetson - Singapore, Ireland / Elrington - worldwide  / Proctor - Scotland, Uruguay, Australia / Ogilvy - Shetland / Rome - Dumfries, Australia / Read - Dorset, Australia / Clarke - London / Heydinger - London / Durie - Kincardine / Scott - Muckart, Perth, Scotland / Wrench - Staffordshire, Australia

Offline goldcoast

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 May 17 04:24 BST (UK) »
I have now found the feet of fines for Fosham in 1467 involving John and Maud Elrington. Also involving Richard Rudde and Joan his wife. Along with Fosham manor there are other pieces of land etc. The agreement was for John and Maud and the heirs begotten by John on the body of Maud, defaulting to the heirs of the body of Maud and a final default to the right heirs of John Disney.

CP 25/1/294/74, number 45

The property did default to the heirs of John and Maud and to me this is another piece of evidence confirming that John is Sir John and his wife Maud was a Disney. So I now need to look at the Disney family much more closely.

Offline IJDisney

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 06 May 17 09:54 BST (UK) »
If you haven't already, try an get hold of Hugh Disney's "Disneys of Norton Disney 1150-1461", or Edward Disney's "A Story of Disneys; Some Myths Exploded".