Author Topic: George GORDON, Cook & Steward of Texas, USA  (Read 861 times)

Offline Tgapitbull

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George GORDON, Cook & Steward of Texas, USA
« on: Sunday 30 April 17 11:10 BST (UK) »
Can anybody help as I have run into a "brick wall"?
The following is a link to my research to find information on a George GORDON, Steward who was one of three crew from the cutter "Hero" who drowned on 21 July 1875 off Mokau, Taranaki, New Zealand:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=754416.0

I have since located a George GORDON, Cook & Steward on the ship "Juverna" which departed from Otago, New Zealand and arrived in Sydney, NSW, Australia on 8 January 1864.  His age was given as 48 years (born c 1816) and from the US.

Another entry for a George GORDON on the ship "Adolphus" of Sydney which sailed from the Port of Maryborough to Sydney, NSW, Australia on 1 June 1864.  He is a Cook & Steward, aged 48 years and was from Texas.

Could this be the George GORDON that I am searching for?  I would welcome any further information on him as I have been unable to locate any other information on him.

It appears that the deaths of the 3 crew members were never registered.  I would like to address this .

Thanks
WNW

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: George GORDON, Cook & Steward of Texas, USA
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 April 17 13:26 BST (UK) »
Can't instantly see anything for George Gordon in Texas but U.S. and Canada, Passenger and Immigration Lists Index, 1500s-1900s show a George Gordon born 1815 arriving 1833/34 in the US - port uncertain. Aged 18 years - Passenger lists of emigrants to America, 1803-1855. All from Ireland to various American ports, mostly New York  ???

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Tgapitbull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 May 17 21:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra,
Thanks for this information - will look into this further.

WNW

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 20:39 BST (UK) »
Sailing from Launceston, Tasmania, arriving Sydney, NSW on 16 July 1862 on board the Mary Smith
George Gordon, AB*, age 46
Of what nation:  Bh? (British is written three lines above - could his entry be abbreviated?)
*AB is crossed out and it looks like "cook ?" underneath AB

Just found this:
Sailing from Launceston Twofold Bay, arriving Sydney, NSW on 11 Aug 1860 on board the Northern Light
George Gordon, Cook Std(?), age 44
Of what nation: British

There could be other lists for this man.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 23:12 BST (UK) »
I realize Gordon is a common name, but a George Gordon (no age given), Seaman,  drowned 17 August 1869.  Perhaps he could be the British cook/steward?   :-\
https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/TC18690817.2.3.1?query=%22George%20gordon%22%20crew
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Tgapitbull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 May 17 06:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks Lisa for your postings.
I have checked the New Zealand Death Index for 1869 and there is no George Gordon registered, possibly becuase no body was recovered.
AS you say the name is very common and it makes searching difficult for the correct one.
I will check out the information you have provided to see if I can find other listings for him.
Thanks again.
Regards
WNW