Author Topic: Advice on Quaker beliefs/ethics wanted  (Read 2777 times)

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Advice on Quaker beliefs/ethics wanted
« on: Sunday 30 April 17 13:34 BST (UK) »
My probable gg-grandmother gave birth in 1860.  Three years later she married, but I don't know if it was to the child's father. The parents eventually became prominent Quakers, and had two more children. The first child was listed on the 1871 census still using the mother's maiden name. 

My question, would a probably illegitimate birth, clearly not hidden, have affected their Quaker standing?

Martin

Offline Ben Beck

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on Quaker beliefs/ethics wanted
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 May 17 08:25 BST (UK) »
If they were already Quakers, it could well have resulted in disownment - but this may not have been forever. They could have continued as attenders during their disownment, and could be reinstated after a time. A Quaker great-great-grandfather of mine was disowned for getting a maidservant pregnant, but he and his wife continued attending Quaker meeting, and he was reinstated as a member seven years later.

If they only became Quakers after the first child's birth, this would have been investigated at the time they applied for membership. If they were suitably penitent this need not necessarily have been an obstacle.

You would probably find the detail of this in the monthly meeting minute books of the meeting concerned.

Ben

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 May 17 17:28 BST (UK) »
Ben thank you.  I think the girl in question was probably young (20)  and foolish at the time.  You mention "monthly meeting minute books"?  Are they available anywhere?  They sound wonderful.

martin

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 May 17 17:52 BST (UK) »
As you're a local, try here

https://www.quaker.org.uk/resources/library

They do appreciate a donation for their help.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Ben Beck

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 08:02 BST (UK) »
Monthly meeting minute books, and lots of other local Quaker records, can be found in county record offices, Martin. You'd first need to know which Quarterly meeting included the Monthly meeting. Quarterly meetings roughly correspond to the old counties, so that should give you a steer - but it's not an exact correspondence.

If you go to http://qfhs.co.uk/public_html/contents.htm#Locating%20meeting%20records (the Quaker Family History Society website), and scroll down to the bottom of the page, you'll find a list of counties. Click on the one that interest you, and it'll take you to a page saying where the local records are held.

Ben

Offline mijath

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 November 17 16:53 GMT (UK) »
I have a similar query so thought I'd ask in this topic.

An possible ancestor of mine was a quaker from birth to death, but I suspect she had an illegitimate child as a teenager.

This child was baptised in a local Anglican parish church. Her subsequent children (once married) were not.

Does this make sense? Might an illegitimate child be baptised in such a way?

Thorpe, Feak & Townsend (Norfolk) / Ormandy & Slater (Dalton-in-Furness) / Corner (Liverpool) / Wray (Lincolnshire) / Fidler, Bridge & Turner (Derbyshire)

Offline Gan Yam

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Going Home - exploring my past
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 November 17 13:10 GMT (UK) »
I have a similar query so thought I'd ask in this topic.

An possible ancestor of mine was a quaker from birth to death, but I suspect she had an illegitimate child as a teenager.

This child was baptised in a local Anglican parish church. Her subsequent children (once married) were not.

Does this make sense? Might an illegitimate child be baptised in such a way?

I have seen baptisms for illegitimate births, sometimes noted in the register eg illegitimate child of .... and other times no mention of it, just gives mother’s name.

If the mother was Quaker all her life it seems strange she would have the child baptised, as quakers don’t baptise their children?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk