Author Topic: Anstruther Wester Railway Tavern  (Read 1992 times)

Offline toridobson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Anstruther Wester Railway Tavern
« on: Sunday 30 April 17 15:01 BST (UK) »
Hi am looking for a David Wotton record in Anstruther Wester around the 1880s.  I have found a record of a David Wotton innkeeper of Railway Tavern Anstruther Wester in Fife, lately dead, no age - a trust deed advert in East Fife Record 1st February 1889. Image is from the index cards from Cupar Library, Fife. Have no idea how to access any further information, any ideas?
I have googled history of the Railway Tavern and nothing, as well as looking at records for Anstruther Wester around this time, as well as looking at 1881 census results.. nothing!

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Anstruther Wester Railway Tavern
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 April 17 19:14 BST (UK) »
Is he an ancestor?  If so - you must have more info about him (eg) birthyear/birthplace/wife/children

Scotlands People only shows 2 deaths for that name - neither in Fife

Have you got the right spelling?  A David Whitelaw Wootton died 1928 aged 67.  RD was Possilpark

Only one 1881 entry for that name and he was b 1858 Dalkeith, living in Glasgow and was a salesman groce
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline toridobson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 May 17 11:29 BST (UK) »
Hi I'm actually looking for the father of David Whitelaw Wooton, not named on birth certificate as he was illegitimate, but mentioned on David Whitelaw Wottons marriage certificate to Isabella Cockburn as a David wotton, I have no other info about him other than David Wootten Whitelaw was registred in Straiton.  His father may not even have been a David, have looked under a lot of records with name variations in this area.  I have the whreabouts of David Whitelaw Wotton from 1880 onwards and it lookks like he was boarded out before then.  Its the father I'm trying to trace, well the possible father and only lead is the mention of a David Wotton as father on David Whitelaw Wottons marriage certificate..

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 May 17 11:58 BST (UK) »
It may be an idea to look around the area where/when David Whitelaw Wooton was born for any possible candidates or if the mother was living elsewhere prior to the birth you could try the area she was.

It's a start  ;)

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 May 17 12:04 BST (UK) »
If David Whitelaw Wooton was illegitimate & Wooton was his surname (same as mother), I think David may have used the surname Wooton either in error or to save face?

It's more likely his father's surname was Whitelaw if his mother's maiden name was Wooton  ???

You haven't really explained in detail i.e. hard to follow for sure.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 May 17 12:20 BST (UK) »
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 May 17 13:04 BST (UK) »
From the Scotsman 18th Nov 1888
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline toridobson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 01 May 17 13:29 BST (UK) »
Hi I have the record of David Wootton Whielaw born 19 Feb 1860 in Straiton as there is a record of birth there to Jane Whitelaw, registered illegitimate,and witnessd by a WIlliam Whitelaw which birth vert states as uncle. I have the birth certificate copy. (no father mentioned, name of child registred as David Wootton Whitelaw))  By 1880 he was known as David WHitelaw Wotton, when he got married to Isabella Cockburn in Kilmadock.  His birthplace has been confirmed by family trees on Ancestry.com,but no further details from the tree members, who unfortunately were researching Isabellas line not his.

Scotland Births and Baptisms 1564-1950 Transcription
Print transcription
First name(s) David Wootten
Last name Whitelaw
Gender Male
Birth year 1860
Birth place Straiton,Ayr,Scotland
Baptism year -
Baptism date -
Baptism place -
Father's first name(s) -
Father's last name -
Mother's first name(s) Jane
Mother's last name Whitelaw
Place Straiton
County Ayrshire
Country Scotland
Record set Scotland Births & Baptisms 1564-1950
Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
Subcategory Births & baptisms
Collections from Great Britain.

It would appear he was given away boarded out from then on, there are records of a David Morten Whitelaw in 1861 census, one year old, living in Maybole, with the a family named White.  Maybole is the next village to Straiton..
David Morten Whitlow
in the 1861 Scotland Census
Name: David Morten Whitlow
Estimated birth year: abt 1860
Relationship: Boarder
Where born: Maybole, Ayrshire
Registration Number: 605
Registration district: Maybole
Civil Parish: Maybole
County: Ayrshire
Address: Kirklands
ED: 7
Household schedule number: 9
LINE: 22
Roll: CSSCT1861_88
Household Members:
Name Age
John White 30
Jean White 36
Barbara White 9
Margaret White 7
John White 7
Jean White 5
James W White 3
David Morten Whitlow 1

. I know census results were often wrongly recorded namewise around this time and after extensive searching these seem to tally.

and then a David Wotten in 1871 census, living with a family named Servet in 1871 in Dalkeith, aged 11.  Gives birthpalce as Dalkeith but I have had this pointed out by an ancestry member that the fostering parents may not have known his birthplace..  There are no records of a David Wotten or WHitelaw or name variations born around this time in Dalkeith..

David Wotten
in the 1871 Scotland Census
Name: David Wotten
Estimated birth year: abt 1860
Relationship: Boarder
Where born: Edinburgh, Midlothian
Registration Number: 683
Registration district: Dalkeith
Civil Parish: Dalkeith
Town: Dalkeith
County: Midlothian
Address: Lugton
ED: 8
Household schedule number: 49
LINE: 16
Roll: CSSCT1871_155
Household Members:
Name Age
Robert Servet 49
Helen Servet 48
Robert Servet 21
Helen Servet 16
Jean Servet 7
David Wotten 11
Eliza Welsh 10

David Whitelaw Wotton was married to Isabella Cockburn in Kilmadock in 1880.  On his marriage cert, he states his father as a David Wotton,  shoemaker.  This is the only possible info I have re the father.  I know Wotton or Wootton is an English name, so he was possibly fathered by an Englishman, a visitor to the region, anything really.  I have all the records for David (Whitelaw) Wotton who maried Isabella Cockburn from then on, census results etc and he did die in Possilpark, you are correct on that.  Its just the possible father I'm trying to find... of course it maybe that David (Whitelaw) Wotton born Wootton Whitelaw just assumed his father was David and assumed he was a shoemaker, may not be true at all. 
Just trying to investigate all possible mentions of a possible David Wotton senior in Scotland living in Scotland... there are no Woottons or Wottons on census reults about this time for the possible father...and the only thing i found was this record of innkeeper in Anstruther from 1889.  a record of a David Wotton innkeeper of Railway Tavern Anstruther Wester in Fife, lately dead, no age - a trust deed advert in East Fife Record 1st February 1889. Image is from the index cards from Cupar Library, Fife.  From newspaper records i can see the pub changed hands on 26 December 1888.   Is unlikely it is him, just wanted to try and get some info with possible birthdates etc to see if he could have been the father of the David Whitelaw Wotton... given that his father was indeed a David Wotton.  Is so difficult with name mispellings and changes over the years!

Offline toridobson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 01 May 17 13:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks Isobel, thats great!