Author Topic: Can anyone tell which medals these are please?  (Read 774 times)

Offline cwelli

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Can anyone tell which medals these are please?
« on: Sunday 30 April 17 17:03 BST (UK) »
These are WW1 medals which I think belonged to my grandmother's brother.
Please can anyone tell me which they  are?

Many thanks

Offline Gwil

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile

Offline cwelli

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone tell which medals these are please?
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 April 17 17:13 BST (UK) »
Many thanks. These aren't in my possession so I can't check. I only have the scans so I was hoping that someone might recognise which they were.
Does BVM stand for British Victory Medal?

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 April 17 17:13 BST (UK) »
I could be totally wrong but I think the medal ribbons are attached to the wrong medals.

The silver coloured medal is the British War Medal and should have the blue, black, white and orange ribbon.  The gold coloured medal is the Victory Medal and should have the rainbow coloured ribbon.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 April 17 17:22 BST (UK) »
I could be totally wrong but I think the medal ribbons are attached to the wrong medals.

The silver coloured medal is the British War Medal and should have the blue, black, white and orange ribbon.  The gold coloured medal is the Victory Medal and should have the rainbow coloured ribbon.

It does look like they are, but the ribbons may just be on bars with a pin or bar at the back and not actually on the medals.

They look to be to short for the actual ribbons which go with the medals

Frank.

ADDED, Just noticed the top picture, they look to be ribbons which are worn on a jacket and have just been sewn onto the medals, but you are correct BumbleB they are on the wrong medals.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline cwelli

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 April 17 17:32 BST (UK) »
Many thanks. I think that the information received confirms that they did belong to my grandmother's brother.

Offline RRTB

• RootsChat Senior
  • Berkshire Yeomanry - my father's WW2 regiment.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 May 17 17:42 BST (UK) »
The two medals you have here would look wonderful after a good clean and new ribbons fitted.

Here in Northern Ireland there are one or two folks who offer this service, and I used one of them to "work their magic" on both my grandfather's and my wife's grandfather's medals.

The result was well worth the small outlay in cost. The original ribbons were retained (as requested - after all, they were now almost 100 years old and were on the medals when they were awarded), the new ones were fitted and the medals themselves were cleaned using a special cleaning fluid. They now look excellent and we are very proud of them and their history.

RRTB

Offline brentof4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 18 May 17 13:12 BST (UK) »
I would like to find a listing of those New Zealanders who were awarded the Military Medal (for bravery in the field) during WW1. Does anyone know where such a list exists online? I am hoping that there is also a description of the action for which the medal was awarded.
Brent

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 19 May 17 10:24 BST (UK) »
All MM awards were announced in the London Gazette - www.thegazette.co.uk - but there are over 115,000 of them in WW1 so it would take a while to pick out New Zealanders!  These do not record the citation, they are just lists of recipients' names.

Wayne McDonald's book Honours and Awards to the New Zealand Expeditionary Force in the Great War 1914-1918. is your best bet - I haven't seen it but it seems it includes MM citations.

See  http://medals.nzdf.mil.nz/info/citationsgallantry.html

That said it is not an easy book to get hold of.
Latest project - www.westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.
Member of Newbury District Field Club - www.ndfc.org.uk